Will mysis shrimps provided enought nutrient for mandarin?

Apr 11, 2006
Hi guys, I don't know if you guys will believe this but, I have two mandarins in a 20gals and a 5gals that are eating mysis shrimp. The green mandarin in the 20gals has lived for 7 months now and seems to be pretty healthy, he grew quite a bit since I bought him. The spotted mandarin in my five gals which I just bought for a couple of weeks is also eating mysis shrimp. Here is how I did it, use a turkey blaster, target feed brine shrimps then starve the mandarin for a day and super target feed the mandarin with mysis. I could see that his belly gets fat after he ate the mysis shrimps. Anyways, my question is that will mysis shrimp provides enought nutriention for my two mandarin to exceed their nutural life span? Or do I have to ween my mandarins to something else?

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the info Lorna. I am currently using "The San Fransico bay brand" that I guess, is more mainstreamed. Maybe tomorrow I go to different lps stores in my city to see if they carry those piscine mysis shrimp.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if yur tank is established enough from wut i hear they should be albe to just feed off pods they find in the rocks.. thats wut the guys at the lfs told wen i got m ine anyways ;)

Apr 11, 2006
True, if your tank is big enought, in this case, my tanks are not big enough. The only way for me to keep these fish is to get them hook on frozen food. At first lots of people told me that it was almost or nearly impossible, but I did some research a found a forum that said what I did so I decided to tried and it works. If you want one, I encourage you to get one and use a turkey blaster filled it up with live brine shrimps and slowing squark it in front of the mandarin. Do it a couple of times and one time, he will acciendently consume a brine shrimp by inhaling water through its gill for oxygen or he'll just think that it's a copepod, then he will be hook on brine shrimp. Later you can switch it to mysis. Like I said, I have one in my 20gals for almost eight months now and he is doing fine eating both mysis and brine shrimp. And I just bought one for my 5 gals and he is eating both mysis and brine. Anyways guys, thanks for answering my thread.

Apr 11, 2006
You know what guys, I think that some people just over exaggerate on the difficulty of keeping a mandarin. I heard from alot of people in my town and on the net that they have success getting mandarin to eats frozen food especially brine shrimp. From there, one can easily hook them up to something more nutrientious. I am not saying that because I have success with it and everybody who wants one should start getting one, I am just saying there are enough success story with mandarin eating prepare food so for those who doesn't has a large tank or lr, let loose and give it a try, do what I did. It worked for me and as well as a whole lots of people, it may work for you.

Apr 11, 2006
It almost took me no effort at all, the hard part was finding live brine shrimp. From there, you can easily ween it to other nutritious prepare food which will prolong the life of your mandarin. The other day, I noticed that my green mandarin was eating small pieces of krill. If you really want to get a mandarin eating prepare food, I found it easier in a smaller tank such as a 5 gals because you can easily target feed the mandarin. Anyways enought talking, if you really want a mandarin but do not have a large tank, I recommend you to try what I did. The key to success is live brine.

Apr 11, 2006
I would love to, but I have trouble taking a clear picture of him. Last night I tried but all the pictures were blary. I'll trying doing it in the daytime and as soon as I can get a good pic of him I'll post it. How do you upload pic directly to myfishtank instead of using photobucket? anyone knows?;)