Will she be ok?

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
hi everyone. i have had 3 fighters for a few months now. my mum did have one last week and i think i know how she died. but my male is a beautifull red, a vibrant red male. the females i have are a purple colour with blue iridescence. whenever he sees the females he flares at them and chases them. i fear he will try to kill them. he didnt get on well with my male krib. he was the one in trouble then so i moved him because i love him soooo much. i put him in my mums tank and the female in there....the same coulour as mine, always hid. then i found her dead a few days later. was it him?

would he do that to her? so... i put my bigger more adult female in the same 10g as him (i moved him) then i added my other female. he chased them around a lot... then the younger one stood up to him and got a nip. so i put both females in a big floating breeding trap. he was showing his fins at them and flaring at them and they were scared.

the younger female looked worn out so i moved her to my big tank. the other female is also scared of him.

will he eventually like her or does the female have to be the same colour as him? id love it if they spawned together.

atm the females breeding trap is a seethrough plastic and it is big. she is safe and she gets enough water flow through the sides and bottom. will they ever like each other? or will he kill her because of her coulour.

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
i dont know people have breed two colors together to make better ones. but mabye he needs to fight another male cause there is the urge to fight other males to mate with females. thats how its done in thailand.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Um, no. There's a reason why some bettas must be kept alone. Some bettas will tolerate tank mates, and some won't. Sounds like you have one that wants his own tank. There are several good threads on here about breeding bettas, but let me warn you that they are quite difficult to raise successfully and you will need LOTS of seperate tanks since the males all need to be seperated by the time they are a few months old.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
ok thanks very much for all of your inputs. i will go by the sticky for breeding them when i would like to. i love his colour and to have a pair of them of the same colour to breed and keep a red strain of the gene would be good and make me feel good. my shop only sells the purple ones.

they should soon like each other when i envoke the proper conditions but for now she has been moved to the other tank. i need to get my bank account sorted and then ill buy a new sponge filter. then ill sell the 6 swordtails to my shop in exchange for another female =] possible red one. and then try to get them to breed.

do you think they will breed/mate/spawn together? considering their colour differences.

Thanks very much. Dan.

EDIT: bank account needs sorting as my parents dont give me pocket money =[. ill have to take from my bank lol. or get a job... {in a FISH STORE} he he.. im thinking about it. maybe after my G.C.S.E's.

Last edited: