Will they work?

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
I just added my male betta into a tank with four baby tiger barbs and four baby danios, he seems pretty reclusive as of right now. Do you think he'll kill them after a while?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
no. but u should be worried about the tiger barbs. they are notorious fin nippers. they will rip the fins of your better and it is more likely that your betta will die of stress, then ur betta killing the other fish.

I would get a seperate 3g tank for ur betta and maybe add a few corys to ur set up which u have now. (well thats wot i would do anyway)

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
he's been in there for over an hour now, under close supervision. It is a ten gallon, I know it's kinda small but all the fish are babies. He's doin pretty good. I had to put him in there cause his tank just got broken. Is a 3 gallon the right size, since I have to get a new tank for him

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hey TF,

Congrats on your betta, I (obviously) love them.

Young bettas and barbs might get along for a while, but barbs often nip (very common) and the betta will get aggresive as he gets older. Short term, you should be fine (like a few weeks), but plan on seperating the betta, they much prefer their own space.

A 3 gal is a good tank for a young male, but if you can afford a 5 gallon glass tank, it would be better for the betta long term, plus its easier to filter and heat if need be.

Careful, betta's are addictive :)

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I would agree, Barbs are notorious fin nippers, he could be ok for a little while, but don't leave him in there long. You could always get a tank divider and just seperate him at one end of the tank, (like 1 1/3rd or so) so he has his own space, but shares the heat & filtration with the rest of the tank. That's what I did & he's happy as a pig in mud. He gets to watch the other fish swim around, so he can flare every once in a while, but I don't have to worry about his nipping, being nipped and no one is stressed. It'll save you having to get another tank, another heater, another filter, and so on...at least it's a temporary fix...and you can cut the dividers to size so that they fit your tank better.
Good luck! and Iggy's right Betta's are addictive!!! I'm already trying to figure out where to put 3-4 more!!! ;)