Wood in tanks

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
You don't need to boil it. All I ever do is let the wood dry out completely - this will kill anything that was living on it. Then I soak it in a bucket till it sinks. This will get out some of the tannins for you. They eventually stop leaking so that it's noticable.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Okay so this is what I am gathering:

Option #1
Clean off wood
Boil until it does not release tannins
Let it sit til it sinks

Option #2
Let wood dry out
Put in a bucket of water
Let tannins leech out
Let sit till it sinks

Okay what would be a safer way? Now would Cory Cats like the wood? Should I try and get something they can hind under when my Betta Gets Mad?

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Neither method is safer than the other that I"m aware of (I"m sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...) I've heard that a lot of tannins in your tank will drop the pH but I've not witnessed that. Might be because I do weekly wc though. Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post...use a wire brush and scrape the wood to get the loose peices off after it drys.

The reason I don't boil is because the only pot I have big enough to do that is my turkey fryer and I"m not lighting up the propane burner just to boil wood. lol

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
ive found that boiling tends to be faster though, beacuse at one time you are killing off the present organisms, getting the tannins out, AND waterlogging the wood.

and yes Tannins will lower your ph, that is why most of amazonia has very acidic water.

cheers

-Java

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
You're repeating yourself sweets! lol

Well, to kill bacteria I think you're supposed to boil for at least 10 mins? Or that's what DCWASA tells us to do with our tap water...

As for how long it takes to get the tannins out...who knows. You just have to boil it while, dump the water and boil again to see if tannins are still coming out. Sorry!

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
I generally go with boiling for 15 minutes. Also, another idea is to pour a whole small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% into a bucket of warm water, soak the driftwood in it for 15-20 minutes, then take out, rinse off, and do a quick boil. The HP will also kill off any organisms as well as algae. Don't need to get the large bottle of HP, one of the small bottles is more than enough. And the driftwood will bubble like mad as it's soaking.

Also to note, for those who don't know, the Hydrogen Peroxide will just turn to water within 15-20 minutes anyways, so you don't need to do a thorough rinsing. Just enough to get some of the crud off the driftwood, then give it a quick 5 min boil. And if it sinks, you don't even need to boil it after the HP treatment, just rinse and go straight to the tank.

Last edited: