Working With Air Tubing

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Hello all,

I just bought my first air pump about a month ago, along with 2 air stones, tubing and a T. I've found the tubing very difficult to work with, in terms of routing inside my tank underneath the gravel and getting it where I want it to go. Seems that it always seems to kick up move my lava rocks out of the way and displace all the gravel that I had covering it.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good methodology for working with air tubing and routing it in your tank?

They make suction cups for the tubing. You could buy a pack of those.
They also make magnetic holders which replace the suction cups. Each magnet is about $5. It comes with a variety of clips from large enough for filters to small enough for air lines. That may be an option for you too depending on your needs.

Personally I just have bubbles running to O2 the tank while the house is hot (no AC). Once it cools down I'll probably pull the bubbles.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
your right about the bubble stones kaneda33 they don't hold still worth a darn. i found that even with suction cups the still are a pain to deal with. i ended up using a bubble wand and it is a lot easier to work with not to mention i like the wall of bubbles on the back wall of the tank. i also found that there is 2 types of air tubbing (well as far as i know). one kind is stiff and hard to work with and the other is a blue color (that i found at meijers but probly at other stores) that is soft and very workable. Well any way just some ideas for you.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Back in the day, I used to either use the bubble wand or use an old abalone shell (The shells has a few smaller holes in it). I think if I ever used one again, I would buy a powerhead and plug it in there.