Works well for me

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have a little sieve from the dollar store. Its 2 1/2 inches in diameter and only about an inch deep. I find it works really well for getting fish out of the bag or any tight place. I get them in and then slide it up the side of the bag and put my hand over it to keep them from jumping although mostly they lie still. When I set it in the tank water, they float right out - no trying to untangle them from in the net and there is nothing to get fins caught on or in. Actually it isn't as awkward as the net can be and they don't seem to get as frightened when approached. (My experience) :)

Feb 27, 2009
I use a square bottomed clear glass vase to catch those hard to catch bottom dwellers. Standing up, it is 4" by 4" on the bottom, and 10" tall. I lay it on its side, directly in one corner of the tank and just 'herd' the fish I want toward the opening with a net. It is such a big opening, they don't see it as a trap (and being clear probabily helps). Once the fish I want is in the vase, I just gently tip it upright.