Worried

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
I noticed for about a month UB has been less active he still eats but rests at the surface or rests in his cave. I notice his breathing is rapid and he just rests now and eats. I am trying to figure if he is ill or just aging. I only had my little bulldog for 9 months. He lives by himself in a 6 gallon eclipse the water is warm and checked levels no ammonia, no nitrite, low nitrates and low phosphates. Partial water change every 8 days. Pea once a week. Eats Bio-Gold Betta Pellets daily, and daphina and freezedried blood worms twice a week.

His belly looks a little large on one side but it might be standing out more since he still has one small fin. I don't really see any thing on him. Could he have dropsy without the pine cone look. Any advice will be appreciated.

May 12, 2005
Georgia
He really is a pretty boy! He sounds like he is acting alot like Bubba my senior betta. Bubba is 3+ years old. UB was probably already about a year old when you bought him 9 months ago and their life span is 2-4 years so maybe he is just getting old. It also sounds like you take really good care of him. If you haven't really noticed anything on him then maybe you should just keep an eye on him.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
How are his gills looking? any inflammation? deterioration?

when he breaths, does he occassionally take a "deep breathe"? If so, it could be flukes or some sort of parasite.

The heavy breathing and frequent resting sounds like how Flounder acted before I realized what was wrong with him - before he started flipping out and trying to ram himslef into things and rubbing up against stuff in sporatic movements...

I hope everything is ok with the little guy

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
No deep breaths, just rapid breathing. I took a good look and I don't see anything on his gills. He is not ramming into anything. Just looks tired heavy breathing. I don't think he has any parasites as he is the only fish in the aquarium so he did not catch it from another fish. And I try to manage the water well. I do the partial water change with spring water (same ph) and I add some bio-coat for vitamins and a little aquarium salt to prevent any ich or problems. As much as I wish it was something I could treat I feel that Father Time gave him the short stick. He has became less active not just right away so I don't think it is a parasite as that would cause quicker and more pain to him I suppose. He doesn't want to eat today which is not like him so I feel it is his time. It would be nice if he would do a complete 180 and give me his betta wiggle dance like he did yesterday but the way he looks I think it is only a pipe dream.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
:( Im sorry, maybe he's just a little depressed for one reason or another..you know, those wonderous betta mood-swings...I hope he perks up, I'd hate for you to lose your little "bull dog" :'(

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
ninamarie said:
OMG i am so sorry to hear this!!!
I will miss him.

I got back from vacation and seems like every ones bettas are passing away:(
Elvis has left the building,
Saul is passing away
now I see UB is gone.

i am so sad you lost your friend.
Thank you Nina. I still miss him. One thing about Bettas, they leave you with never forgetting about them!

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
Oh I know that, When my first betta Gilly went I was saddend and then I got Maxx and that was hard for I tried my darnest to help him and was just devistated when he went.

Now if flipper went I would so not be happy he is the best ever and no other can replace him

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
mmhmm. i still miss my first betta sometimes....Skye, he was so pretty, and he'd follow my finger around the side of the tank...so cute. But now Flipper is absolutely amazing, and I don't even want to think about losing him :(