would a corry go well with guppy fry

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
would a corry go well with my guppy fry in a 3 gallon eclipse? it will be the fry and the corry only.....no other fish will be in the tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I sincerely doubt that a cory would eat a fry unless it was dead. But I agree with seleya you can't get a group of cories in a 3g tank...and you shouldn't keep them alone.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
shrimp would probably be fine...if you can keep them alive. Also, you might consider a snail if you're planning on doing a lot of water changes to keep the water as good a quality for your fry as they need. An otto probably isn't your best bet either, I doubt there would be enough food for one in that small of a tank and they dont take kindly to changing water parameters (like tends to happen in a small tank).

Sep 8, 2005
Depends on what kind of snail you get. Go to applesnail.com and read up if you are interested. They have great pictures too. Click on species on the left side.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes. If you get a live plant and don't rinse it, you will probably get some snail eggs... for little snails that are plant friendly.

If you've still got extra food on the bottom, you should use a piece of airhose tubing or something to suck it up... otherwise it'll rot and generally be bad for the water.

Sep 8, 2005
Snails will eat the extra food. However if you have old food in there now i'd vacuum it up. It is kinda hard not to over feed fry. I vacuum every other day for this reason.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I keep a couple cories in my 10gal w/ guppies and fry and don't have a problem, they don't even pay attention to them. However as others have said, 3gal is way too small for cories. I've had some snails come in on plants (in the same tank) and they don't seem to eat the plants even when they are sitting on them. I haven't noticed any bite holes and such. Have no idea what kind of snails they are though.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yes, they are definitely multiplying. At first I didn't mind because I was going to have puffers, but I put that on hold. I guess if I get too many I will use the 'cucumber' trick. I think they are kind of cute when they are on the side of the glass and you can see their little mouths working. (NEVER thought I would think of a snail as cute *SUPERSMIL )

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
You could always go buy a new plant......if there are snails in the tank with the plants you are bound to get one - or eggs at least :) . Just have to watch em' so they don't overpopulate your tank.