Would like to downsize.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I would like to diassemble my 10 gallon.

Do you think I could put my fish :
3 Black skirt tetras and 3 ottos

into my 55 gallon:
10 Danios 6 scissortails 5 ottos and 5 cories?

or would I be majorly overstocked?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
You could prolly may be able to away with it as long as
a) The 55 is fully cycled
b) You do bi-weekly water changes.

but still you'll be pushing it, but hey the 10 was overstocked to begin with... ;)

However, your 55 is gonna have a busy bottom with all those otos and cories.

IMO, If you do it (and I think it's pushing it) you should take the ten down in about 10 days so that you can add half the fish from that to the 55 at a time otherwise your may get a bad mini cycle.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yea the tank is fully cycled. I knew the 10 was overstocked but ottos are pretty clean. I prolly will just leave it, it isn't that I don't like 2 tanks but with summer here could use the extrs space :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
3 black skirts and some ottos is not overstocked IMO.

I think you'll probably be fine as long as you're diligent about water changes. Those 5 little fish probably wont make much difference on the bioload of your 55, but if you have time there wouldn't be any harm in moving the ottos....then waiting a few days and adding the black skirts.

Yeah...heck why take down tanks??? You apparantly haven't caught MTS yet ;) Most people are wanting to put MORE tanks up ;)

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
I can certainly understand you urge to tear down an extra tank. I also think that you would be no where near overstocked with all of your fish in the 55, I've probably got 40 inches of fish in a planted 29 G and I have no problem whatsoever. I also don't believe in the 1"/gal rule; it ignores some of the most important variables.

Do you have plants? What kind of filtration do you use? What are the avg. temp and PH of your tank, and more!

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
the other reason for wanting to downsize is that the tank is next to a walkway and the tetras get skitish everytime we walkby.

I know I am nuts LoL. I also wonder it it is taking alot of electricity to operate.

T have the penguin 330 filter on the 55 gallon and do a 30% water change about every 2 weeks.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
I say got for it, it's only a ten gallon. Beside it's good to have a quarantine/hospital tank available when you need it. You might also want to try brackish or something in it one day.

I don't see your plan having any problems. Keep the 10 though (as said above) for a quarantine tank.

MTS has got me too strongly as well to even dream of LESS tanks (more more more). Beside that, any of my communities merging would be major overstocking (where as I don't see yours as a problem).