Would you buy an ebayed tank?

Davie

New Fish
Oct 26, 2005
I was just wondering if tanks (used) are suitable to be purchased off ebay? (Providing the seller had 100% feedback of course =P)

I was looking today and some tanks were going for under half the price they sell as normally - with all the orignal equipment included.

It'd be great as I could afford a bigger tank on the same budget =)

Cheers

Last edited:

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
If you can find one close to you I'd go for it.You can pick up some good bargains on ebay.It's usually the postage that is the sting in the tail.Factor it into your purchase and don't be afraid to ask for a different service from whats offered.
Of course,picking it up in person is your best bet though.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It probably won't be worth it unless you can pick it up. Larger tanks need to go in wooden crates and be taken by truck, etc. If it's close enough to pick up, it's probably a good deal (and you get to see it before you hand over the money, too).

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Agreed. Ebay is an awesome site for buying anything - Fish tanks included. Skip over that shipping and you've usually got a good deal. You can limit your search to x-miles from your zip code in Ebay, too.

Also, sounds kind of dumb but check out the local classifieds. We have a want-ad press here.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
I have bought severeal tanks off ebay. No problems so far, and the tank have been really cheap - £180 tank for £16 (plus extras that totalled over £30 themselves!).
If you can spot a good bragin then go for it, it's well worth it!

Davie

New Fish
Oct 26, 2005
Sweet, thanks for the input guys

Most sellers will only exchange the tank in person as shipping costs would be huge, so checking the tank is no problem =)

And wow, what a bargain you got there karma!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I have and would again. Just be sure to not pay until you pick it up and check the tank and anything that comes with it as thoroughly as possible to be sure it truly is as described before agreeing to pay. Look at the seals, inside stands for water damage, check for chips etc. Then, once you have it home, be sure to test it outside for leaks etc before filling it indoors just as you would any second hand tank. Good luck! :)

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I wouldnt after watching how much of a scandal and un-reliable service it is on 'tonight with trevor mcdonlad' some people put things on there that dont even exist!!
__________________Thats very true!!!like dvd rewinders

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
brit_s86 said:
I wouldnt after watching how much of a scandal and un-reliable service it is on 'tonight with trevor mcdonlad' some people put things on there that dont even exist!!
__________________Thats very true!!!like dvd rewinders
ROFLMAO.Thats partly why Paypal offers buyer protection.Most people on ebay are genuine and generally helpful.It's always the odd horror story that you hear that sticks in your mind.I've never had a big problem yet on there and I've had over 170 items bought and sold.

[Rant mode]Anybody who falls for an auction for DVD rewinders deserves to be ripped off.*crazysmil
Anybody who falls for a phishing scam should know better in the first place.Afterall would you just stop a stranger in the street and give him your banking details?[/Close Rant]

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
we buy alot of items off ebay,and we have only ever had 2 problems.my boyfriend bought 2 tv screens for his truck,and 1 was damaged in shipping.so it wasnt the sellers fault.and I spent some good money on a louis vuitton purse.We payed through paypal,and I ordered it in October of last year,for my mom for a christmas present,but I still didnt get it,and I know the person ripped of someother people too.But there is a company you go through through ebay.but they are very slow....I gbut only having those problems is good for all the items we have bought off ebay

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
this thread inspired me to look on ebay for tanks near me, 40 gallon complete with a stand that could hold my 55 and the 40 (over n under) and the bidding was only at 40$, the stand alone at pet supplies plus was 90$ or more i believe. and i only have to drive 5 minutes to pick it up if by chance i do win it.