WOW...i got ich...

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i was checking up on my clowns and i noticed tiny white spots on them. the blue LED lights really bring them out....

i googled it and its ich...

can anyone help me out on the cure? i have a 3g tank set up and im willing to use it as a QT tank for a while. when i get home i'll do a freshwater dip. but thats really all i know so far...

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Bad luck. freshwater dips are useless, garlic undemonstrated and not effective in my experience and when I've used 'reefsafe' cures the fish have still died. IF it is ich, and it's actually confused with other white dots pretty frequently you can go copper or hyposalinity, and I think copper is more reliable, but hypo a bit more gentle on sensitive fish

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The temp raising will not kill the ich all it does is hopefully speed up the cycle. I hope you took these fish out of the tank they were in and quarantined them? The salinity must be dropped gradually or you will shock things......then it must be kept this way for up to six weeks until things run through the cycle. The main display should remain fallow for 6-8 weeks also without any fish so that anything in it cycles out also. Then do not add anything to your display that hasn't been through the 6 week quarantine.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i read up on ich and they said raising it above 82 F creates a strain on them. it was worth a try. the temp is back down to 80 F. im going to see if i can get a heater for the 3g...and i dont have a powerhead for the 3g...the lowest gph i have is 230 and thats over kill...

im going to see if i can do anything about this.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
When I had it I raised the temp to try to speed the ich cycle. I lowerd the SG to 1.009 over 3 days I think it was. Leave it at 1.009 for a absolute minimum of 4 weeks though I would go 6. Raising the temp will not kill them. Take your time and do it right or they will be back before you know it.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no...you need to do treatment in an entirely different tank...it will mess with your live rock, inverts everything...go out and spend $10 on a 10 gallon tank, put the one powerhead in it, and QT them in that...this is a relatively easy and simple thing to do.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
first off all it shouldnt be too hard to catch anything ina 10g *crazysmil and beseides i belive u just wanna quarantine your fish...leave the snails shrimp ect in the display..am i right? *SUPERSMIL

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes....remove just the fish...place them in the 10g quarantine......and treat them there with whatever method you chose.......leave the main tank fallow (no fish) for at least 6 weeks.........the fish will be okay in the 10g for that time unless you have really big and a lot of fish....????

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Lorna said:
yes....remove just the fish...place them in the 10g quarantine......and treat them there with whatever method you chose.......leave the main tank fallow (no fish) for at least 6 weeks.........the fish will be okay in the 10g for that time unless you have really big and a lot of fish....????

the ich doesnt infect the inverts so taking out the only 2 fish i have will wipe the ich off in my main tank from starvation or lack of a host?