WTF is wrong w my lil blood parrots?!

Feb 6, 2012
Ok so no had 4a blood parrots, one was huge but he died on 1/1/12 :(
he had this too - whatever it is - I thought it was ich so I treated it and it didn't help, then was told to try some Melafix and everything was fine for a month and I got a new fish last week, died the next day. They tested my water and said to do a partial water change and add some AmQuel ,changed 1/3 of the water (55gal tank) and added the stuff... This has come back whatever it is. They look like white spots in the pic but it almost looks like "dry skin" and its flaking off.... one of them has it worse than the other 2 and he looks really sad.... I also have a large jaguar cichlid in the tank thats now acting funny... any ideas? Suggestions? HELP PLEASE!! I love my fishies...

Attachments

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You say they tested your water but what were the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How long have you had the tank and was it cycled?

Feb 6, 2012
So the ammonia and the nitrite were ok, they said the nitrate was off and that requires a partial water change... also said it could be from over feeding. I just really don't like to lose my fishers :( we changed the water, there filters, and I even added some of the ich drops when it started to show again but dannnnnng... I want it gone! Was it a decent picture?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am sorry about your fish! Here is an article that will explain the nitrogen cycle and what people are talking about when they ask if your tank is cycled.

Fishless Aquarium Cycle

There is both a fishless and fish in cycle - in my situation I found pure ammonia impossible to find.

You already have fish in your tank so you have to proceed cautiously. Do Not change the filter. That is where the beneficial bacteria are multiplying. You really need a liquid test kit of your own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Then you test the water daily and do a partial change of water as soon as you find you have any ammonia and/or nitrite. Eventually they will be zero and you will start to see some nitrates. Nitrates should stay close to 20ppm. Any time they are above that you need to do a partial water change. Many people on this forum don't change the filter media until it is falling apart. Your goal is ammonia 0, nitrite, 0 and nitrate around 20ppm. I can't help you with medications because I have never used any. Many on this forum for ich simply turn the temp up to about 85 degrees or even a little higher and vacuum daily to pick up the spores as they fall off. The vacuuming is also important in keeping you nitrate under control. I hope this is all helpful. Keep asking questions. Others will also answer I am sure.

Feb 27, 2009
Be sure to ask for the numbers if you have a fish store test your water. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate should have readings in ppm (parts per million). Don't let them tell you only that something is 'ok' or 'high.'

Changing your filter's media will throw your tank into a mini-cycle in most cases. A lot of the beneficial bacteria live within your filter. Unless its falling apart, just rinse it in the water you are changing out (NEVER in tap water) and put it back in the filter. If it really needs replaced, put the new and old one in the filter if possible for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, the hybrid 'blood parrot' is a very deformed fish and some can be very sensitive to poor water conditions.

Last edited: