Xenia

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Depends on the type of xenia you have. Some pulse and some do not. The pulsing variety need to have a steady ph in the 8.2-8.4 range and will stop pulsing if the ph falls. Also, I have heard that if they are in a high flow area they won't pulse as much, though mine do in both tanks. They do tend to pull into themselves about once or twice a day......then reopen and pulse away like crazy. The spread quickly and even though mine did a complete meltdown into a bubblegum goo it came back in a couple of weeks.......

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
mine hardly pulse at all.. they are in a medium flow.. some people say they like tons of flow almost to where they are being "blown over" mine close up at night when i shut the lights off.. that's really the only time they do that.. or when there is a loud noise in the house from one of the dogs or something..

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I guess I can understand them closing up at night because doesn't PH drop at night? I know normally my PH is roughly 8.2 to 8.4. Is this because there are no lights or what? I do have a moonlight LED fixture. I have been reading up on how to frag them because they are quite hardy and grow quickly. I have also read they like a lot of flow, but don't necessarily need it to be excessive.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
from the video that i posted in the lounge everyone says my flow is too much but my xenia seem to LOVE it.. ive had mine for almost a month now and it has almost doubled in size i would say.. not hard to frag really at all .. the guy i got mine from kinda ripped it off lol.. hoping when i get my new lights thy will start pulsing more.. either that or maybe ill try putting less current on them.. dunno if that will help or not.. only one way to find out!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have red sea pom pom xenia and it pulses away in the dark. In fact I fragged a small piece off my main by placing a piece of rubble next to it then cutting this off, in the process I tore off a small piece the size of a pencil eraser.....well rather than toss this I tried to sew it to a pebble....and put the pebble in a place with low flow in my 20. The pebble slid down into the rock it was sitting on and I couldn't get the little piece of xenia out of the big rock.....that was a week or so ago.....low and behold I look into a small hole on the rock as I see something moving....it is this small piece of xenia pulsing away inside the big rock.........go figure....maybe you really can't kill this stuff. I hope it grows out the hole and into the light.....

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I definitely want some xenia though this is what I have. The coral started as a polyp grouping and a single polyp that's in the bottom left hard to see. The 4 polyps have gone towards the back of the lr. I t was purchased 10 July.

This is the single about 3 weeks ago.

The single polyp today

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Nice pictures. I have the purple colored ones. I checked when I got home and they opened up again. I feed it again today and all my fish came over trying to eat the zoomax stuff. So I had to spot feed it. I'm going to wait a while before I frag it. Do you think a month would be good? Here is a good link on how to frag it. http://www.garf.org/MPegs/XeniaPropagation.html

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mine all got eaten a long time ago.... if you gamble on 'reefsafeness' then Xenia is a likely casualty to many angels....

Noone is quite sure why they even pulse - whether it's to capture food, or to move water around the polyp and help remove wastes....

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
they pulse for the same reason the chicken crossed the road

that was a cool video, just reading it made it kinda fuzzy but seeing it made it seem very easy

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
This bunch has melted down to nothing and been reborn. It is about 6" across and it is short and stocky not the long feathery kind like some. Looks funny when it retracts as it pulls into itself unlike anthelia which won't. I would really like a piece of cespitularia which is an almost irridescent blue.....so if anyone has any.... :)

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
fuge is running minus a decent water pump. Should be here tomorrow. I just hooked up a airline tupe to one of my powerheads to get water in there. I need to get 5 more lbs of sand too. I should have my chaeto here by thursday. I'm going to take some pics as soon as my xenia opens. It's starting to now.

I was thinking about a dwarf angel, but I may be thinking again on that one. I really like the flame angel.