yay,HELP!!!!!!!fin rot problem

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
ive made a 40% water change for two days.the first day i thought it will get under control,but it seems it is getting worst,only left half the length of his usual fin.i add salt and few drops of Aquadine General Aid special(recommend by my lfs).plz anyone please help me.my fish are getting tired,his not flaring anymore.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
past 3day when i see them at morning they are ok,as usual i open then opaque divider to let them flare till i come back from school.When i reached home my mom told me they both have tipped fin.in just around 6hrs the fin gone about 1/4.im not sure what is it,will betta fix or melafix work??

Sep 16, 2005
melafix (antibacterial) and pimafix (antifungus) are always good to have on hand for the future. if you use them at the first sign of fin rot and do a water change shortly after they are good preventive treatments, but it sounds like your fish need stronger medicines now, like tetracycline or the other ones you mentioned.

don't get bettafix.. it is just watered down melafix. it is cheaper to do the watering down yourself (by just dosing one-half of the normal amount of melafix to your bettas & other labyrinth fish).

good luck. i hope your fish get better!

Last edited:

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
hmm,i bought a bottle of melafix,havent use yet,im using tetracycline and dunno a weird substance that prove to be best sales in my country for curing fin rot,lol still no result.it seems to be slightly better.Hmm by the way how to differentiate fungus and fin rot??

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Usually a fungal infection is accompanied by some fuzzy stuff (for lack of better words) that is actually the fungus. Fin rot can also be bacterial.

The med your using ATM should help, I would also treat with 50% dose of melifix as it's abilities to help keep things from getting worse is amazing.