YEAH I got 7 baby platy's but need help

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I went down stairs this morning to feed the fish and I took notice that my pregnant wasn't so pregnant anymore. And we looked in the tank and have 7 baby platy's, they are kinda trying to hide down in the rocks. I have NO other tank to put them in what can I do to, try and let them survive. I was going to just let the other fish eat them but now that I see them, I can't let that happen. *BOUNCINGS
I thought of stopping while I was out this morning and getting some of that wort plant stuff. I have the fake stuff but Im going to get the real stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can keep some or most of them????

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
YAY! Congrats, cougargirl50! Isn't it awesome to see "life" taking place in our little fish worlds we created!?
Lotus wrote a great article here about livebearer fry :http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17554

So I would get a breeding trap, start hatching some baby brine shrimp, and watch them grow!
For a quick fix, once when I didnt have a breeding trap and I wanted to give the fry a place to hide til I got one, I dismantled a couple extra plastic plant that I had laying around, placed them in the tank so they were secure inside the leaves of other plants, and made this a nice "dense" place for the fry to hide. Crush up some flake food very fine, and sprinkle it in the area of the plants so they can eat.

Good luck! Keep us posted "mommy" :)

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
well I went and bought a breeder thing, came home and I put it in the tank, but guess what I don't see any babies anywhere anymore.
I have 4 fake plants in my tank so IM HOPING that they are hiding in there. The mother still looks like she has 1 or 2 in her belly, you can see 2 black little circles yet. Could she still be somewhat pregnant or would she have them all at once.
I put her in the breeding tank that I borrowed from my dad just in case she still does have one in there.

But I will keep posted.
Thanks

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
congrats......... its a great feeling when you see the little critters... anyway it is best to seperate them form the other fish. but if you cannot do that it is possible for them to survive in the main tank solong as thay have loas of hiding places...... i hae fry in my tank dont know haw many origannly but when i was feeding them one morning there thay were 2 of them hiding under a pice of drift wood. i only have one that has survived and is almos as big as momy noy :) oh and get some fry food failing that mash some regular food into a fine powder and put it on a rock of somthing near the fry. good luck

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I was downstairs this morning when I fed them and was looking back by my bubble wall and guess what I found one baby fry. He was almost breakfast for a danio, but I got him scooped out and put in my breeder cage. Now he looks all lonely I hope it will live. I want to go out today and pick up some of that Java moss stuff, and I guess something for it to eat. I crushed up very fine some flake food but it doesnt look like its bothering it, unless I tramatized it right now for moving it.
But out of 7 that I seen yesterday I got one. My daughter will be happy..... YEAH