yellow lab isolation

jamesw

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Surrey, England
i think one of my yellow labs is carrying eggs, i watch them for about an hour chasing and shaking around. and now one of them is hiding in the same spot with a puffy jaw. i bought a hatchery net and was wondering when i should put her in it, or should i just leave it?

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
well you can leave her to spit out the fry in the tank when shes ready OR at about 18 days you can catch her, take her out and strip the fry from her. This is where you catch the fish and take some water in a bowl or something, then you hold the fish in the water and gently open her mouth with tweezers or something. The fry will swim out of her mouth and when theres no fry left in her mouth you can release the female back into the main tank to recover. You can put the fry in a breeder net for a few days but apparently after a few days they start to get agressive and they will kill one another. So its best to get another tank for them to grow out. When they get to a suitable size you can either put them in with your main colony or sell them.

DO not put her in the hatchery thing, it will be much too small for her and cause a great deal of stress