Yellow Tang Ick

rjgreen

New Fish
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
I noticed white spots and some very small air bubbles on my yellow tangs this morning. This is a 30gal tank with 25 lbs of live rock. The only other fish in the tank is a blackpatch trigger that looks fine. The water tests OK. Should I put the tangs in a quarantine tank and what is the best thing to treat them with? I'm just getting back into salt after 25 years with no fish.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Put all the fish in a quarantine tank and treat them together, and keep them there for a month. For these fish 30 gallons is realistically a quarantine tank. Note that using copper in your tank will pretty much trash the live rock. Make sure the tangs get a good diet, lots of greens else their recovery/resistance will be lowered.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
I hate to say this, but that 30g is waaaaayyyyyyy too small for your yellow tangs (how many?) and a trigger. Even if you manage to get rid of the ick with medication, it will return again and again as the fish will be constantly stressed by a too small tank. Yellow tangs are very territorial and should be kept only one to a tank (unless you have a huge tank, like 300g or larger) and just about ALL triggers will become extremely aggressive as they mature and will kill just about everything in their tank.
Sorry:(