Yellow tang

Feb 10, 2009
I have a yellow tang in my tank who has developed red spots on his body and red strips running along his top fin. He is acting fine, eatting well, and otherwise seems healthy. His tank mates are fine and showing none of the same things. Water quality is good. (I had a nitrite issue a couple weeks ago but it is now at normal levels). What could be going on with him??

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Sounds like a bacteria infection...which yellow tangs are prone to in poor water conditions. I would be checking water daily...nitrite is a big deal, and my guess would be nitrates are high as well. Maybe small daily water changes to get water quality up to par, selcon is a good idea too just to keep the fish's immune system up. Generally speaking the fish will usually pull though without medication.

Feb 10, 2009
I have been doing small water changes about everyother day, he is also getting algea about everyother day as well. should i move him to the quaritine tank to prevent spreading the infection or is this something that can't be spread? should i give him something to help him out or will he be fine without? I'm new to saltwater fish so i can use all the advice you have to give!!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
sounds like the tank is still cycling by those test results! what size tank is this? how long has it been up? skimmer? what other fish are in there with it? if u have zero nitrates theres no need for water changes IMO