yes it will ...no it won't Which one?

Aug 9, 2006
Cumberland,Maryland
I need to know I have 5 angels in a 29 gallon aquarium what size would be best to take them out and go into a different say 55 gallon......I need a definite awser will this 29 gallon tank stun there growth until i get my 55 gallon. Please if your not certain, don't awnser....Thank you

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
In this hobby there are very few certain yes and no's. How big are your angels now? I'd think they'd be OK in a 29 for awhile...will be MUCH better in a 55 as soon as you can get it. The biggest part of their growth should happen when they're younger so if you're not giving them sparkling water conditions (good filter, plenty of water changes, not overfeeding, quality nutrition, plenty of space to swim) their growth will be stunted...just like any aquarium fish.

Example...I put a quarter size angelfish in my 46g tank and in the first couple of months he more than quadrupled in size. My roommate put two angels about the same quarter size into a 20g tank, didn't do many water changes, only fed once in awhile and mostly only flake food...and four months later they hadn't even doubled in size. Would they have DEFINITELY gotten as big as mine in a bigger tank or because of more water changes or because of better food?? No one can say for sure...but its likely.

Aug 9, 2006
Cumberland,Maryland
I alternate ther food between flake brine and blood worms change there water every two 2 weeks, filter every 2 weeks , ph is always around 7.0 nitrate and ammonia are perfect the biggest one is body 1 inch but the fins are at least 1 - 1 1/2 the other one don't to be getting any bigger. and my ghost angel is getting bigger as well but the rest seem to just barley be growing . I ve had them for at least 3-4 month at most.....

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Are there any other fish in the tank?

I would be more concerned about aggression, not stunting. 5 angels in a 29g is a crowd and when they get to an adult size, you could have problems. I'd upgrade as soon as possible to give them room to spread out and establish territories. A 75g is better than a 55g because its wider...especially if you want other fish in the tank. It gives schooling fish more room to swim, since there will be 5 angels in the tank.

I would up the water changes to 50% weekly. That will give them really good water conditions, so they will stay healthy.

They are still small now, but I'd still upgrade as soon as you can.