Can I put the Tetras with the Gourami's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Thats what I was thinking, and since most of the gourami's are going to be Male then I didn't want to put the tetra's in death road. But I talked to my friend that told me to do something like this:

1---Blue Paradise Gourami---Female
1---Dwarf Gourami---Male
1---Powder Blue Gourami---Male
5---Neon Tetra
3---White Cloud
1---Gold White Cloud
1---Otto

And as long as it has enough plants and hiding spots for the fish then its alright. So any other thoughts, the 1st is whe I get my tank and my fish.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes, the tetras would get along, but you'll want to be very careful with all those gouramis together. This is assuming that the paradise fish would get along, that would be the only questionable one with tetras.

Are you planning to cycle the tank first? Also, even once the tank is cycled, you'll want to wait a while for the otos because they need algae to eat. You'd want to wait until you actually have algae growing for them before you get them.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You're kinda all over the place with your fish selection. Neons would prefer more warmth than the paradise fish and white clouds would find to their liking. As has also been stated, you may well be pushing your luck with the gourami situation. I would tend to suggest you tweak your selections a bit.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I have 5 black-fin and 1 Serpae tetra with a golden gourami, and they're fine. The trick is to add the gourami last so that he doesn't think he runs the joint. Those guys are territorial, so if they're put into a tank first, any fish you add later might get picked on. Take the gourami out, put the tetras in, then put the gourami back in at a later date. That should hold him!

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Rootdok said:
You have that many Gourami without any problems between them? I have 2 and one drives the other crazy.
Gouramis are O.K. on their own (1) but better in a group (5 or more) BUT TWO will have trouble as the more dominant one will chase the other and not have any others to chase so that they can rest between beatings.... result the submissive one will probably die..

I've just noticed ... you say it's been downstaires cycling.... Are you doing a fishless cycling (The best as no fish have to die in the process) or are you just resting the water.... If there is nothing organic decaying in the water all you will get is well rested (Chlorine / chloramine free water). which is achieveable in seconds with water treatments from your LFS.

Last edited: