Yes, there is an UGLY side to Saltwater!!!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
They can actually be benefical to the tank. You don't want them to over run the tank though. I'm not sure how small theyhave to be, but they can be live food for some fish.

If you find one as big as that monster run, run away.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
dont worry about them, they are fine in your tank, they just tend to be a problem when people over feed and they multiply like crazy, take a flashlight and look at night, if you see less than 5-10 you are absolutely fine. Arrow crabs are a bad solution as well, they get huge, fast, and are predatory.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Like aresgod said, don't worry about them unless they're over-running the tank. They are actually benificial to your system as they will help with turning your substrate and eating leftovers. I have had them in all my tanks and actually put them there on purpase!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Be realistic - you're likely not overrun, and if you are , work out what they're eating. I have a good number, no worries, they are the creme de la creme of clean up crews.

If you have a 6 inch bristle and a little 2 inch 6 line do you really expect it to eat them....?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
wayne said:
Be realistic - you're likely not overrun, and if you are , work out what they're eating. I have a good number, no worries, they are the creme de la creme of clean up crews.

If you have a 6 inch bristle and a little 2 inch 6 line do you really expect it to eat them....?
Well wayne....to tell you the truth i don't know. I do waterchanges, i feed the fish sparingly...no idea what they eat. But my rocks are literally crawling themselves.

I have all sizes ranging from 1" up to 5"ish.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
As Wayne said and every thing that I have read everywhere insist that bristleworms are good detrivores and are beneficial. As stated if your population is really high then the conditions that support them must be high also....ei high food/waste etc = high number of bristleworms. If there isn't enough food for them they will die out.....what you are striving for is a balance of nature within an unatural setting......