Yet again the clown has passed

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
So I introduced another clown about 5 days ago. It started to eat right away and has been acting completely normal until today when I got home from work. He was dead.

Water Params
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: <.3
Nitrate: 12.5
PH: 8.3

There were no marks on the fish like it was attached or anything. Anything else I could check?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
how are the other fish in the tank doing?

Preferably the nitrite should be reading 0 but I doubt that would be the cause for the 3 clowns deaths. Have you been doing weekly water changes?

It may have something to do with the live stock that your LFS has gotten in (3 clowns in this amount of time is weary)

Wayne posted in another thread (thinking someone else had the problem) and brought up a interesting point regarding clowns and how they are becomming less the hardy fish and becomming more suceptible (sp) to things.

How are you acclimating them to the tank?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
My nitrite is < .3 because there isn't a reading for 0 on the card. < .3 is the lowest color on there. Two of the clown came from one LFS and this last one came from another one. I have been doing weekly water changes, but have just started to do changes every other week. Since my water quality is pretty stable now. I don't have any issues with my other fish or shrimp. It's very discouraging and now counting the money. I'm not going to replace the clown just yet. I'm going to wait a while I should have my refugium setup in the next week or 2. I do want to replace them with two just because I really like the clowns. I always drip acclimate them for at a minimum of 1 hour. Inverts are longer.

Just wish I could find a water parameter off or something just so I know what it was.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lets look at basics - the other fish are ok , so I doubt it's a water parameter.

How big are the clowns? How perky are they in the other tank? Are they eating? You need to do a basic health check on these fish before you shop - clowns are NOT as hardy as you might think in the first place

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, before church today I checked on the fish and noticed that both of my firefish were not out and they ususally are at this time. So I did a quick search and noticed my very small serpent star had it. Do you think he could be the culprit? I didn't see any marks on the fish. I still cannot find my other firefish but I presume he's dead. I have taken the serpent star back. I still have my shrimp and my blenny.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
have you been feeding the serpant star? If it doesnt have enough food it will go after small fish. Even though you never saw it in the stars mouth the pursuit or possible stuggle with it could be the cause of death for the clowns.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I wasn't target feeding it, but I was watching at night. My firefish sleep on the other side of the tank in one of the rocks. I'm sure the darn thing went in and got them. Yet another lesson learned. Now that I only have 1 fish, blenny. I'm not sure where to start. I would like to start with a clown again, but what would you suggest?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Agree, let the tank sit. Then try something really tough like a pair of tomato clowns. Get something that's been sitting in the shop a while if you can. A small wrasse might be another good bet.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I know I should wait. Maybe I'll just concentrate getting my fuge running without leaking. I did see a six line over the weekend maybe i'll look into him, but I would much rather add a pair of something. Tomato clowns wouldn't be bad, but I haven't seen them around.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
scissortail dartfish....sounds great, where are the pics please.......

also, sound like jumpers, so make sure you have your top covered everywhere they could get through

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
when I was acclimating them they just stared at me from the top of their bag. I placed a grid over them immediately. I have a grid over the overflow and the tank I don't want to lose this pair. I will post some pics tomorrow before work. They disappear at night though, oh and if they get spooked. wooosh and they're gone.