Yet Another Cichlid Thread. Please read and reply

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
We have combined our community tanks into two a 45 and a 90 Gal, and have setup a new 36 bow for cichlids, the tank is setup with water in it but am waiting for the new fluval canister, it should be here on wednesday and I would like to start adding some fish on saturday. I have never had a cichlid tank before so here are my questions in order

#1. The fish I would like to have are a pair of yellow labs, monos and rams. would these be compatible.

#2. I will be doing a fish in cycle and will use some bio from the other two tanks, the question is is there a cichlid that would be recommended for cycling a tank, fish I could leave in the tank that would get along with the fish In Q#1

#3. What other fish could I put in this tank and still have a happy tank.

If I am over looking something please feel free to advise. I am asking for both help and advice, thanks djm

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Holy triple post, Batman!

For cycling, if you're using filter media from an old tank it should almost be like an "instant cycle" if you add enough media, or if you add a little then add fish slowly. I'd suggest doing this because any cichlid needs pretty clean water, and they're not the cheapest fish in the world so just go slow and save yourself some money and stress on the fish.

I'm not sure about monos, I've never heard of them before, but labs are African and rams are South American, which gives them far different water parameters. Africans like high pH while American's like lower pH. Even if you were to acclimate them to the same parameters (which I bet people have done even though its not ideal for them), from what I've read Africans are way more aggressive than rams, so the rams probably wouldn't last long in a tank with labs.

If you're undecided about which to go with, what's the pH of your tap water? I say if its high go African, if its low go American. That way you'll save yourself a headache later trying to mess with pH.

As for other fish, I think most cichlids end up being species tanks because of aggression. If you want a lot of other fish you can get dwarf cichlids, like rams, and keep them in a community. That's what I'm doing right now, and its working out great. I've even read that some people are able to keep their rams with discus or with angel fish, which are also both technically cichlids.

EDIT:
Are you talking about mono sebae fish? That's what came up when I searched for "mono cichlids."

Last edited:

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Holy triple post, Batman!
EDIT:
Are you talking about mono sebae fish? That's what came up when I searched for "mono cichlids."
Oh ya the triple post, I don't know if its my computer or this web site but I couldn't see my post so I reposted then saw all three At the same time but now it wont let me delete the first two, If some one knows how to notify a administrator feel free to delete the first two in the fresh water forum.

PS I will check on the PH. And yes I am talking about the Mono Sebae

Last edited:

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
After talking to people at the LFS We decided to go South American dwarf cichlids, Killifish a fancy pleco and cats. They said these fish would be compatible. Would any one here disagree, I've found that the LFS isn't always right. If you can think of any concerns please post them. Thanks