Yet another cycling question

J_E_F_F

New Fish
Mar 4, 2006
I have read the process over and over, but one thing I have not seem, is a guide for the number of fish to start with.

We are setting up a 65 gallon tank for goldfish. Would starting with 2 small goldfish generate enough ammonia to properly start the tank cycling?

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
I'm new to aquariums, and if i'd have known then what I know now, I would have "fishless" cycled. You'll have a lot less casualties, and once the cycle is finshed, you can put as many fish in there as you want.. (as many as your tank should hold that is) Now, I've been calling every pet store in houston trying to find bio-spira so i can save my fish!! (i'm nervous that they will die from the ammonia, no matter how many water changes i do ) my advice: FISHLESS CYCLE.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Interesting to hear about different people's experiences with cycling and their cycling preferences; be it 'fishless' or 'fish-in.'

I've always done 'fish-in' cycling, and I've never lost a fish as a result of this process. Of course, I've always started with hardier specimens, and keeping on top of water changes was key to succeeding, in my opinion.

Big Vine

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
yeah, well I didnt know about "cycling" and bought two sharks for my tank, I dont know how hardy they are, although its been about a week and there still fine. I'm not adding anything else though till i get some nitrate readings...I still dont even have nitrite readings in either of my tanks :( the 10 gal has been running for 2 weeks (wish fish) now...grr....

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you don't know your readings, I'd play it safe and do small water changes daily (10% or so) or do about a 20-30% water change about every other day.

Keep that up until your tank's been up and running for about a month (don't add any more fish in the meantime) and then reduce the changes to about twice a week for a two-week period, and then once a week from then on.

It may sound excessive, but that's really playing it safe with a cycling tank---It's all based on 'guesswork,' which can be eliminated if you are able to actually test the water and react in accordance with the test results, rather than acting on an 'educated guess' as to what your fish are or are not able to tolerate while the tank is still cycling.

Big Vine

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
I test my water daily, although I usually just test ammonia and sometimes nitrite... my ammonia just keeps going up, so thats why i dont regulary check nitrite...(whats the point unless the ammonia level starts to decrease) but i did check nitrite on both tanks today and still 0...but I'm going to get bio spira this weekend hopefully just to play it safe with my fish...

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Oh, okay...good.
As for the ammonia levels...hopefully the Bio Spira will help. In the meantime, I'd be sure to change at least some of the tank water daily.

That's really about all you can do in the meantime. :eek:

Best of luck to you. :)
Big Vine