yo yo or clown loach

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Depends on what size tank you have. I personally like to choose fish that will not outgrow my tank so if you have a 29g to about 90g tank, then Yoyos would be a better choice. Clowns can get around 8 inches, so a tank atleast 90g would be minimum for a forever home for them, preferably larger. 125g would be perfect.

That is my opinion on minimum tank size for clowns...some people may disagree.

I have yoyo loaches and they are really entertaining. You should get a group of atleast 3. The more you have the more interaction you'll see between them. A 29g is minimum IMO because they are very active and get a plump 4 inches. :)

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
and get more than two clown loaches more like three or more if you plan on getting them.

I like to buy fish that will out grow the tank because sooner or later I outgrow the tank as well. Upgrading is always fun! Just make sure you dont have a 8" clown loach in a 30G tank and you will be ok :p

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
funny that i see this thread now, i just got home with two yo yo loaches that are floating and acclimiting(sp) right now. i bought them for my infestation of snails. I have had clowns for over a yr now, and they are so cool, probably my second favorite fish next to cories. But yes clowns do get big, and they like to have company, so depending on the size of your tank i would go with yo yo's.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Yo-yo's all the way.Much nicer to look at than Clowns in my book and loaches are all cheeky little chappies anyway.Mine pinches the food out of the others mouths and is oh so arrogant.Punches way above his weight.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have to admit, I like my clowns much more than I ever liked my yoyos. I like my clowns so much, I have a large tank build around their preferences. There's nothing like watching how fast a clown can swim in a 6-foot tank. Maybe one day I'll get an even bigger tank for them ;)

There are other small loaches that are nice, such as zebras, kubotai and pygmy chain loaches, if you're willing to try to find them in stores.