young green terrors in 20g?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
I was originally going to put a pair or so of green terrors into a 75G, but that died out as my brother wants it so i gave it to him. I have a 20G that's cycled and went to the LFS to get some fish and saw some small GT's around 1-1.5". Would they be OK in this size of tank for a year or year and a half? Just looking for some input, I think I am going to get them.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't do it. A small tank like that could stunt their growth, and those guys get large, but I'm no Green Terror expert. Make sure that the "cycled" tank is getting some source of ammonia while there are no fish in it, otherwise within a couple of days it will be an "uncycled" tank and you will have to start the cycle all over.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
The first rules of this would be to ensure you have two females, the males grow much larger, and fairly quicker, reaching 10 to 12 inches, while the female only grows around 7 to 9 inches. You run the risk of stunting their growth and shortening their lifespan, I would say you could pull it off for 6 months or so? I wouldn't try to do it much longer as they would naturally reach close to their full size within a year and a half, and doing that in a 20 gallon isn't very fair to the fish.

Jan 8, 2007
corrupt lfs
Like what was already stated...i would figure 6 months or less. I am growing out a ~1.5 inch GT in a 20 currently but plan on moving it out in a few months as they can grow fairly quick.
You may want to look at a similar sized JD...as they grow very slow. If you want that type of fish...

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
ok problem solved. i went back there today and they're all sold. probably better that way anyhow since you all say they grow really fast.