Your opinion on flow

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
I've read the sticky above and found it helpful. I've read some other articles about water turnover rate. I'm curious what the general opinion is about minimum flow and what you would think a max flow would be. I see the above post has 50x water flow and I've read that you should have a minimum of 6-10 times. If I try to go inbetween those 2 say 20X in a 125 tank (6ft length) I'd be looking at 2,500 gph I take it....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd say that around 20 is good for a fish-only or a soft coral/LPS tank. If you're going for SPS, 50x is better.

In addition to the total rate, random flow and good flow around the rocks and accross the substrate is important. You don't want dead spots collecting wastes in the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes and remember if you are going bare bottom you will need flow at the higher end also to ensure detritus is kept in suspension to be skimmed out with a protein skimmer

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
In my last tank I ran approx. 870gph in a 20g w/15g sump (actual gallons of water in system was 20g) that worked out to 43.5 times tank turn over per hour and I had a mix of LPS, SPS, Mushrooms and more. The key is to use powerheads with a high volume & low pressure flow... like a Seio or one of the new Hydors Korilia's. They move a lot of water but its flow is spred out and not concentrated in a small jet flow like a maxijet or the like.

In a 125g I would be using about 4 x "Hydor Koralia 4 - 1200GPH" or 4 x "Taam Seio 1100 Super Flow Pump" in that. For any low flow or medium flow coral just use the LR to make some shelterd areas.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
just to give u an idea in my 125g i have a koralia#3 on one end and a #4 on the other then my return pump (only 700 gph) in the middle facing both directions ;) ... i guess what u really need to figure out is what type of tank will this be? a FOWLR or a softie tank wont need as much flow as a sps tank

btw saltywaters 4x #4 koralias would be total over kill unless its all sps