zebra cichlid

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
my wife committed the cardinal sin.... she just went out and bought new fish without getting to know the parameters for the fish. All i know about it is that is an african cichlid. they have called it a Zebra, but it is blaze orange. all the info on the assorted cichlid sites i have been all that i have found is on zebra cichlids which is a blueish gray with dark stripes...anyone shed some lite on for me

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
SINFUL ,SINFUL  IF SHE EVER...... jk
;D
I think it might be some sort of a mbuna here is what i found
Pseudotropheus zebracomes in several color morphs and can be useful in the tank,since it likes to eat duckweed. Measuring some 4 inches long in adulthood ,temp 75-79, Ph 7.5-8.0,and Dh 8-10 this rather belligerent species is polygamous, requiring several females for each male. It's diet is a variety of things such as frozen food, flake, and green food including algae  ;) HTH ;D :) ;) :D ;D :D :) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
HOW DARE SHE! ;D j/k

Fishboy is right on the parameters. The only thing is that somtimes when you purchase a cichlid they come mixed in with many other kinds that are closly related. I think you have identified it right this time. Many african cichlids have the same appearance as others, or at least they closely resemble them. Psuedotrophues lambardoi look somewat like a zebra too. They all have about the same water conditions needed though. Good luck with the new fish. And tell you wife to NEVER buy a fish without proper research again! :D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
:eek:

Umm.. I disagree .

I think you bought a Convict cichlid..aka Zebra cichlid.( cichlasoma nigrofasciatum )

If you have this fish with nice fish, be warned. They are mean.
They eat about anything..including nice little fish.
Get about 6 inches.

There is a albino variety as well, which is what you might have.

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
she got them from a tank i was looking at the other day.. it is from a "assorted african cichlids" she had gotten the fishs in question, aurutas, and electric blues.....she was out shopping and since we had empty tanks she got fish. she also bought a betta and 3 female bettas for my hospital tank (which she wants to breed...sigh)....i guess i will have to get another hospital tank......8) she saw all the prices on the net and she wants to make a couple of dollars to offset fish costs....

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Barb as I was first reading this I though it may be the convict's too but he said that they were african cichlids. Many of them are called zebra cichlids. Bettas arn't that hard to breed kagal. I had a male and female but they wern't properly conditioned first and the female didn't want to lay the eggs but the male was very ready. Isn't that how it always is. ;D If you do try and breed these go to www.bettasrus.com and go to the breeders corner. It's full of great tips and stuff. Just make sure you don't try and do this in a half way fashion as they won't be properly prepared and if they do lay the eggs they may be to weak to have strong babies. Sorry to be so long winded! ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
So gold gouramies build a bubble nest and the male takes care of the eggs until they hatch ???

Yes barb I dont' think a tank of assorted cichlids would include convicts. ;D Hehe. :D

Oct 22, 2002
Hi folks, this is my first post,so please excuse my if I over do it.Due to my geographic loaction I buy ALL my cichlids from the "Assoted" tanks so I play the what fish is this game all the time.  If the fish in question is bright Orange resembling a gold fish it is indeed a "Red Zebra".  Keep in mind the common names vary from location.  The Scientific name is Maylandia Estera or Pseudotropheus zebra.  You can do a search on google.com and get pictures.  These fish start out solid orange.  When of age the males will morph to a pale orange, while the females will stay orange.  I hope this helps.

James S