Zebra Danio Concerns

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Hi Everyone, I hope some of you can help me, One of my Zebra Danios has developed some sort of cyst looking thing hanging directly off the lower part of his/her abdomen, It's the same color as the fish is (internal swelling?) Anyway it's my smallest danio (Approx. 1 inch), so I'm assuming not ready to breed, so probably not eggs. The other 2 Danios seem fine as do the other fish in the tank (Stocking for 10G below in sig) The "sick" one seems every bit as spastic as the other Danios, and is eating well. I have posted my tank parameters below, someone please tell me whats wrong with my fishy :(

(Note: I have no camara, hence no pics to show of the "lump")

Ammonia - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 20ppm
pH - 7.2
Air Stone Runs 24/7
Marineland Penguin 100 HOB
Timer Controlled 12/12 Night/Day Lighting
Tank Temp - 78 Degrees F
Diligent 25% weekly WC's

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
i think what you are talking about is... oh jeeze... it starts with a T ... terberculorsis?? i have NO idea how you spell that...but yeah thats what i would think... i had a danio that had it once, he eventually died because i didnt have enough money to treat it :(

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Now I find myself wondering if the rest of my fish (In this tank) are "infected" if so, do you just put them out of their misery now? All the fish including the sick one seem so active. I have no Q tank setup yet, so do I just moniter these guys, and if more start showing symtoms....just flush the whole tank? and clean it up and start again?:confused:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
fish TB usually shows up as a hump in their topline, their spine...so that doesn't sound like it.

If the fish is acting ok I wouldn't worry too much...sometimes fish can get growths etc...if it is a parasite of some sort you could feed them some parasite medicated food. Since danios are such voracious eaters that they should take it well and it shouldn't hurt them if they dont have any parasites.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Thank You, Is there a medicated food you'd suggest?
FroggyFox said:
fish TB usually shows up as a hump in their topline, their spine...so that doesn't sound like it.

If the fish is acting ok I wouldn't worry too much...sometimes fish can get growths etc...if it is a parasite of some sort you could feed them some parasite medicated food. Since danios are such voracious eaters that they should take it well and it shouldn't hurt them if they dont have any parasites.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont have any in particular that I like...I would check and see what your lfs has. If you have to ask for it, make sure not to let them talk you into anyhing additional until you've come back to research it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Fish tb is not the same as human tb...although it is possible to for humans to catch fish tb, it is not common. Just one more reason you should always wash well after messing with your tanks.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Makes you wonder.....how many of us have been starting our tank siphons with our mouths suction...eww. Never really occured to me, that that little drop of yuck you get in your mouth sometimes could be more serious.*SICK*