Zebra Danio question

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I have 6 zebra danios, when I only had 3 I didnt take notice to this but now that I have 6 of them. There is 2 of them that chase the other danios. They almost remind me of being a bully. I don't know the difference between the female danios and the males. And if I could they swim around so fast it would be kinda hard to tell.
Now the ones that are going after the other danios could they be males trying to get the females, they almost look they are wrestling, havent seen any mating between any of them, so are they just trying to mate or do I have to mean danios.
I took notice yesterday that one of my platys was eating off a cucumber that I put in the tank yesterday and one of the danios would chase it away.

Can anyone help me????

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Danios can be very "playful", so you often want to have a decent sized school in the tank. that way their energy gets spread around.

They should mostly play amongst themselves, but as you noticed, they will sometimes involve other fish.

What is the size and stocking level of your tank?

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
My danios are chasing each other and tetras. They themselves are getting kicked by a rainbow shark. So far I have not seen any signs of distress on either species, even on smallest danios.
Danios are very energetic and fast. They do not have troubles to run away if necessary unless they are ill or injured. I would not call them bullies but sometimes they can be kind of annoying.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
JWright said:
Danios can be very "playful", so you often want to have a decent sized school in the tank. that way their energy gets spread around.

They should mostly play amongst themselves, but as you noticed, they will sometimes involve other fish.

What is the size and stocking level of your tank?
I have a 20 gallon with:

6 zebra danios
5 platys
1 dalmatian mollie

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much- danios are very boisterous as everyone said, but they are not aggressive. You asked earlierr about how to tell the males from the females- females are generally more robust- males are slender and slightly smaller.

Apr 16, 2005
Oklahoma
I have a mix of zebras and leopards and they constantly play tag and chase each other around the tank. I've never seen them bother any of my tetras or vice versa. I've yet to determine their sex as well. Like you said they zip around so fast you cant get a good look at them but one of them has a pregnant looking belly right now so I'm hoping she's a preggers female :)

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
in the morning my zebra danios would be very hyper-active and 'wrestle' in the substrate. but after about half an hour they would go back to playing around in the upper parts of the tank.

TommyR

Medium Fish
Nov 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Visit site
I have long finned Zebras and they are ALWAYS chasing each other around.
It's normal. They are really fun fish! They come over to me when I kneel in front of the tank and lightly tap the glass! Mine are in a 20g high. 4 at the moment with 5 platys. 2 adults and 3 youngsters

Tom

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
I have 6 Zebras and they are constantly zipping around the tank. I swear they have ADD. My son loves to watch them. They usually leave the Otos alone, unless they are swimming across the tank or to the plants.