zebra plecos

Description: Compatibility: Community
Maximum Size: 4 in
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Temperature: 75-82F
Diet: Omnivore (but should be offered plenty of meaty foods)
Level of care: Medium
General Notes: They are generally not aggressive nature fish except towards there own species. Like most other pleco's they will try to kill the other plecos in the tank. This type of plecostamus is more of a meat eater rather that a algae eater. An ideal diet would be bloodworms, sinking catfish pellets, occasional romaine lettuce, and cucumbers. Driftwood is also a good idea to have since the will eat the wood. This fish is not for beginners, since it is quite expensive and not alway the easiest to care for. This fish also prefers a high oxegen content, and a swift current​

i copied information above from the profile on this site.and as usaull i have
questions.it says a max size is 4" i thought it was 6"it also says omnivore, doesnt that mean it eats plants,on another site it eats only meat?it also says they need a swift current.do i need a power head?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
you might not want them when you see the prices :(

omnivore means plant and animal matter. the size is 4 inches.
ive seen the guys price at 150 bucks.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
bala_aquarium said:
it says a max size is 4" i thought it was 6"it also says omnivore, doesnt that mean it eats plants,on another site it eats only meat?it also says they need a swift current.do i need a power head?
Max inches is about 3.5-4 inches
Omnivore- yes, both meat and plants. Mine get meat almost all the time
Powerhead- Yes. Though I have one and they don't pay the flow any attention

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
Try to get them shipped if you possibly can. They are slightly cheaper in other countries. A powerhead is not nececairy. If you have the money for one go for it. If not, a pipe leading from an external filter ito the tank is fine. Most plecs dont care one bit about it. I have heard of them getting to 6" in the wild but not in captivity. It will eat plant matter and animal matter (like most fish) but its diet is generally tilted towards plants.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
they sell for about $40 canadian here for a 2"
but now my serious question is what is this about killing the other plecos in the tank??? I've never heard of pleco's doing that before, and I have a common and a albino bristlenose in a 75 right now, I'm going to exchange my common for a clown or a zebra when the tank's a little older. I had thought only the males were agressive, and that was towards other males around breeding time?

Apr 9, 2006
PlecoCollector said:
Max inches is about 3.5-4 inches
Omnivore- yes, both meat and plants. Mine get meat almost all the time
Powerhead- Yes. Though I have one and they don't pay the flow any attention
my brother is buying one of those,and he is realy curios to see how much they cost and wat they eat and all that stuff.his name is bala_aquarium so you can pm him with the info

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well Zebras are one of the more aggressive plecs if they are crowded in a tank. IE 3 in a 10 isn't a good idea.

They do NOT lean towards plant matter, in fact their diet is just the opposite of that. They are Hypancistrus therefore prefer meaty foods.

Costs are ranging from 150-200 for 1.5 inch fry to 250 upwards of 400 for full grown wild caught ones.

If your store is selling them for 40 I would highly doubt they are Zebras. Look at PC's Ava, that is a zebra.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Are you 100% sure you have the fish that is being talked about here? there are ummm 3 or 4 other plecs that often carry this common name.

L046 Zebra pleco http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/hypancis/168_F.PHP Is the one I thought we are talking about.

"Feeding- Unlike the popular opinion of many other loricariids, H. zebra is more of a carnivore than an algae eater. This is backed up by a small and lightly toothed mouth that indicates it is a poor algae eater. Provide mainly meaty foods such as bloodworm and even brineshrimp."

Every one I know that has these as well as any other Hypancistrus has never witnessed them even paying any vegetable matter any kind of attention. Myself is included in this list.

If yours does that is indeed an odd fish..Maybe he didn't go to fish school to learn what he ain't sposed to eat. LOL!

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I'm a little bit unsure that we're all talking about the same fish here... there are such things as "Chocolate Zebras" and other fish under the name "Zebra" that aren't actual Zebras.

And on the food- mine only like meat. I had plants and driftwood in with them orginally and they paid it to attention. Meaty diet all the way :p

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Just because they are sucker mouth's doesn't meen they are pansys. I have an adult clown pleco that has killed every other plec that's ever been in with him except for the hypostomus that's been living with him for over a year now. 2 young commons and 5 BN plecs were disposed of by this guy.

But I love the little sucker! (pun intended)

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Pure said:
Well Zebras are one of the more aggressive plecs if they are crowded in a tank. IE 3 in a 10 isn't a good idea.

They do NOT lean towards plant matter, in fact their diet is just the opposite of that. They are Hypancistrus therefore prefer meaty foods.

Costs are ranging from 150-200 for 1.5 inch fry to 250 upwards of 400 for full grown wild caught ones.

If your store is selling them for 40 I would highly doubt they are Zebras. Look at PC's Ava, that is a zebra.
Actually I believe it was a columbian pleco now that I think about it, it was originally listed as a zebra, and I asked why it's lines were so faded.