how to take care of frys?

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
i was just wonderin coz im planning to have guppies, and i believe they are one heck of breeders! so what will i do in case my guppies give birth already? coz usually, the common problem is that frys get sucked up by the filter or eaten by other fish...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
To prevent fry from being sucked up a filter, you can cover the intake with pantyhose or sponge, or jam a sponge down it to partially block the flow.

To help more fry survive without being eaten, there are a few different options. You can either make sure you have lots of hiding places like decorations or plants where a baby can hide from other fish, or you can put the fry in a fry trap. Fry trap will get you the most babies that don't get eaten, and it will also take care of the filter problem. If you go for the fry trap, you can either put the female in the trap right before she has babies, or you can wait and try to move the fry into the trap after they have been born.

Baby guppies are big enough to eat really finely crushed flake foods, or you can specifically get them smaller foods.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
it would be best to have a seperate tank just for fry, a 10 gallon tank with java moss would work

my breeding tank is a bare bottom 10 gallon with java moss and a fluval 101 internal filter, when i notice a female thats getting fat and has a black spot behind her belly i will move her into the 10 gallon tank to give birth once she has given birth i will remove her and place her back in the community tank

hope that helps

Jul 23, 2009
Colorado
does any of this apply to Mickey Platy Fry?

when I walked into check on their Mom today they were there and I dont have to worry about them getting eaten cuz Mom is the only adult in there...just want to make sure I am doing whatever I can to make sure they grow strong and healthy :D

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
nah i cant do the breeding tank coz i only have tank and there's no more room in my place for another tank...
i went with the 2.6 g tank from petsmart for fry( which sits on my home desk )
i dont mess with the nets and all that. when i do my WEEKLY WATER CHANGE
i check my filter for little guys. which sometimes i get a few and i might get 1 or 2 when i vacuum. guppies BREED ! like NO TOMORROW ! i let nature take its coarse for the most part anymore.

Last edited: