danio bullying?

Oct 13, 2005
Ok, so i've had this little danio for about a month and i decided today to get him a friend. but when i put them in the same aquarium, the new guy (Who is also bigger and will now be known as "Butch") has been terrorizing my little fish. what do i do? i've tried taking butch out and rearranging the landscape (mind you i've only got a plant, but i moved it), and its still the same story. now they're separated but i want to put them back together, how do i do it?
thanks everyone!

my tank was origionally my boyfriends, but when he went in the marines i took it to take care of it... he had a danio(stuey) in his tank that was his first fish that was used to cycle the tank...he loved that dumb danio..after having him for over a year in a 10 gallon tank BY HIMSELF, i started adding fish... he wouldnt stop bulling them, i gave him 2 weeks to change, and it wasnt getting better, so i had to give him to the LFS and tears where in my eyes when i dropped him off... poor stuey
having a bully is not good, they stress the fish out, and bully them so bad they dont get any food.. if he doesnt change, i would get rid of it!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Danios are schooling fish, if you get some more they won't all be picking on one fish. A group of 4-5 will be fine, and the nipping will be spread out so the little fish isn't always picked on. Zebra, leopard, and long-finned danios will all school together. Otherwise, Butch will go after the little fish because he's bigger and bored.

valbogert

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
My danios had the same problem. I have them in with white cloud minnows and they constantly would single out one of them. I added a third Danio and they keep to themselves better. Not as much crazy stuff. If you have the room get 3 more it will help.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
A ___ x ____ lunch box? You might try adding more stuff to the tank (plants and such) to break up the territory and give the little fish some cover. Half a little tank (if they're seperated) isn't nearly enough room for a danio, they're pretty active little fish.

You might look into the 5g tanks, they probably aren't that much bigger and would let you get a third danio. Much smaller and there isn't really room for 2 danios, let alone 3.

Oct 13, 2005
i did a tank measurement, and its literally the size of a lunch box - like 8in x 5 in x 4 in... i went on a conversion site and apparently its only about 0.7 gallons (i live in res, thats why its so miniscule). should i just give butch away?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Probably... in a tank that size there really isn't room for the other to get away, and Butch will just keep bullying.

Look into a 5g, they really aren't too big for college.

Ramsey

New Fish
Jul 17, 2009
Re:

Hey thanks for your advice.
Iv just got home from work, and the victim is now hanging around in one corner of the tank. The food is right over top, however he/she is not feeding.

Im rather concerned. Never lost a fish to date and sure dont want this to be my intro into tropical keeping.

Anti-Bullying

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
A ___ x ____ lunch box? You might try adding more stuff to the tank (plants and such) to break up the territory and give the little fish some cover. Half a little tank (if they're seperated) isn't nearly enough room for a danio, they're pretty active little fish.

You might look into the 5g tanks, they probably aren't that much bigger and would let you get a third danio. Much smaller and there isn't really room for 2 danios, let alone 3.
ARE YOU KIDDING? A Danio shouldn't be in anything smaller than 20G in a group of 4-5. Danios are just WAY to active to be cramped in a 10G. They need swimming room. And yes if they are cramped and dont have their space they may fin nip and chase the slower, less active fish.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
If you really want to keep fish I'd recommend a betta for a tank that small. Although I usually discourage that because I say a betta deserves at least 3 gallons of water..if not 5. But a tank of .7 gallons can't really hold anything.

kezdoc09

Medium Fish
Jul 28, 2009
yeah danios are really boistrous and playful and yes the more the better! they are not naturally mean and nasty fish but they do need a lot to keep them occupied. i had 3 of them 2 males and a female (only knew the sexes once i did research) 2 males were fighting all the time till one died! now the two of them are really happy and keep havin babies! u really need a bigger tank tho!

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Danios are schooling fish, if you get some more they won't all be picking on one fish. A group of 4-5 will be fine, and the nipping will be spread out so the little fish isn't always picked on. Zebra, leopard, and long-finned danios will all school together. Otherwise, Butch will go after the little fish because he's bigger and bored.
so pretty much all danios will school together?

kezdoc09

Medium Fish
Jul 28, 2009
pretty much, fantails leopards etc, but not as well as some tetras they are really busy fish so can't always stick together but will when they are threatened.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
First off, danio's are schooling fish. this means you should have tried to purchase about 4-5 of these fish at once to prevent this problem. on fixing this issue, i would buy a few more danio, or purchase some more plants.

Feb 27, 2009
First off, danio's are schooling fish. this means you should have tried to purchase about 4-5 of these fish at once to prevent this problem. on fixing this issue, i would buy a few more danio, or purchase some more plants.
Although I agree with this advice in general, with 0.7 gallons of water for living quarters, the humane thing to do would be to either get a larger aquarium for the danio(s) or find them an appropriate home elsewhere.