Betta Question

Mar 23, 2007
I currently have a 5 gallon tank. In it, I keep a male betta, a male gourami, a female swordtail, four guppies, and a freshwater ghost shrimp.

I noticed a moment ago that the betta is flying around the tank and jerking his head up really fast as if to try to get air...and he jerks several times...and gets his nose out of the water enough to get air and all that... but he keeps doing it every couple minutes for the past 5 minutes, but isn't doing it now...

I wanted to go ahe ad and post here early in case something's wrong. The gourami sometimes nips at his tail, which makes him a little mad, but he swims away. The betta is mild-tempered and won't hurt other fish... he's only attacked the gourami back once...by wrapping his body part way around him.

I'm going to change the filter in a moment in case that is the problem, but if there's another reason for this, please let me know. This betta was my very first since the one my mom flushed down the toilet when I was a kid (he ate her tetras). Kiminori (my first male that I have now) is extremely special to me...and I'd hate it if something other than old age happened to him. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
not trying to sound harsh here but you have way too many fish in that tank. you should either return the gourami or the betta, gouramis get too big for a tank that small. the general rule of thumb for keeping fish is 1 inch per gallon, meaning for every inch of fish you need at least one gallon, you have about 12+ inches worth of fish in 5 gallons of water. how often do you do water changes? how long has the tank been set up? and how long have you had the fish? bettas usually live for about 2-3 years sometimes up to 5-6 years.

BettaLove

Large Fish
Jan 19, 2006
I would definately isolate your Betta. Put him in his own little tank and then observe his behavior and see if it changes. He very well may be stressed out because of all the other fish you have in there with him. Good luck.

Mar 23, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You're probably right, but I still have a problem. Kiminori (the betta) was all by himself...just him and Shrimpy for a long time (which is why I think you're probably right). But I have 4 tanks and I live in a small dorm room and I have no more room for another tank at this time. I cannot return the gourami or the sword-tail or any of the other fish...and I see them as pets, so I don't have the heart to flush them... I do have 3 other tanks...but two each have other male bettas in them and the third has my female, Ingrid in it... And also, none of those three have filter systems, so I can't put the gourami and swordtail etc. in there. Suggestions?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
could you upgrade to at least a 10 gallon tank? its not huge but it would give your fish a little extra room and you would have the 5 gallon to put your betta in, then move all the others to the bigger tank. a 10 gallon is small and fits just about anywhere, like on a bookshelf, nightstand ect. or you can do what i did, i have a home made bookshelf with all my bettas on it, you could easily make one and put all your tanks on one shelf so it saves space.