Hang on the back refuge

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
can anyone help me build a refuge that hangs on the back of my 10g?

theres lots of room behind my tank (about 4 inches) i got the idea from people that mod their AC70 power filter. for me in stead of making networks of tubes 3-5 feet is it a good idea to mound one behind it? a sump doesnt look ugly to me. instead i think its a interesting component.

i was thinking of using the weir method to transfter the water into the refuge.
and a rio 180 as a return. im not a big fan of pvc pipes so im planning to use clear acrylic tubing. i just need to find a good medium to bend the pipe into a U shape. just like the DIY custom BEND PVC at Reef Videos .

im afraid that the sand will fuse into the pipe or leave bumps. im thinking of compressed water right now....

i might do a crappy paint drawing since i dont have the skillz for advance 3D drawings nor the time.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
1979camaro said:
Why not just purchase one? Saves a lot of the hassle...I know aresgod is selling his old one.

i like customizing things. and its a fun project. can be cheaply made.
im planning on spending no more then $20. well with the weir and pump it might come to $50 but totally worth it.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
You could always purchase an aquaclear filter and convert it into a fuge by simply removing the filtration pads, Ive done it on an AC 300 as have some others it does the job nicely.
the one im trying to make holds about 4-5g depending on on the width(undecided).

its also going to cover the entire back side.

20 X 12 X 4-5?

try to make it look really cool.

oddly enough the acrylic to make it is just going to run me about $30. cheaper then the AC70.