How many panda cories?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Eventually I'd like to add some panda cories to my tank. I know the ideal would be 4-5, however, not sure if this would overstock my tank.

I'm pretty anal about checking the params frequently and have no problem with frequent water channges to keep the params in check, but how many do you think would be best for all the fish concerned?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I was hoping you'd say that!!

Although, I just read a minute ago in another thread that pandas are not very hardy. Is there another cory that would be better? The only ones I'm not too crazy about are albino and green cories.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ya know...i've never had panda cories, but I have heard the same thing. The only ones I've ever had that I can't tell what they are they're either spotted cories or Julii cories...the names sometimes get mixed up, but they are the coolest little guys. I have one in my 46 right here that I've had for over 3 years :) Emerald cories aren't actually cories and get larger, and albino things usually creep me out so I'm with ya on those two :) heh I'd vote for the spotted or julii ones :)

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Just one more question, I promise. :eek: I also like peppered and julii cories. I think they get a little bigger than pandas, so can I still go with 5, or would that be too many of that size in my tank?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Honestly didn't notice you said Panda when I read through the first time, so I was counting on a cory that stays in the 2 inch or so range...like those spotted ones :) If you make sure to keep up with water changes etc I think you'd still be fine with 5

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
I like albino cories, they remind me of 1 fish 2 fish from Dr. Seuss. They always sleep together right on top of each other in their small clay pot. Cute little fishies

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
with panda corys, because of how small they are i think a group of 6-9 would be nice. and that way you have the whole bottom of your tank covered, plus some otos you might want to add if you see fit too or like the look of them.

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
with panda corys, because of how small they are i think a group of 6-9 would be nice. and that way you have the whole bottom of your tank covered, plus some otos you might want to add if you see fit too or like the look of them.
I don't know 9 is kind of pushing it, you have to remember these aren't much smaller than the Albino and Peppered Cory Cats. They still grow around 2inches. I know some sites say other wise but trust me, theres some Panda's at a LFS that are at least 2inches long.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm hoping my params will be perfect by next week and then I'll see what my favorite lfs has in the way of cories!!

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Well, I felt my tank was finally ready and went to my favorite lfs. He had 5 julii cories left so I bought those, as well as 3 ottos for the brown algae starting on the glass.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Unfortunately my pictures never turn out very good...especially compared to yours, BV! I'll have to try my daughter's and see what happens.