Powerhead Question

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea most power heads come with them if u dont have one my lfs actually sells all differant types so u may wanna check...if not im sure u can get it online

Feb 15, 2007
thanks coolwaters
i have another question i bought water from my lfs but he gave me the water where he put all his live rock?? is that water good or not. my tank has been setup for about 4 weeks now and ammonia, nitrites reads 0. My nitrates is at 10

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
LOL he used water in his live rock tank? it depends. if ALL the rocks are fully cured then hes really helping you. if they are not cured hes just being evil....

correct me if im wrong water in LR tanks that has been cured has a lot of beneficial bacteria?

if your not getting any neg reading then it should be fine.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
I wouldn't put water from a LFS into my tank. They get all kinds of diseases through their tanks, and there's always the possibility of introducing something nasty, IMO.
Its true....even the best stores has nasty stuff...

but i got this bag of reef water from buying snails that was crystal clear. If anything it would be good for my tank. but did risk a lot by doing so. think twice before doing anything.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Considering that if he's cured the live rock he has effectively rotted all sorts of stuff into that water, it may well have very high nitrates, and/or very high levels of dissolved organics, so I wouldn't use it. Effectively no bacteria in the water anyway, they're all on the rock......

Whether or not water is clear is no measure of anything... what colour is raw ammonia?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
what colour is raw ammonia?
Red? *SUPERSMIL

anyways its cheaper just to buy a RO system and saltmix on the long run.

and plus you can use RO for drinking...has people forgotten about that? :eek:

and yeah the high level of dissolved organic matter just slipped my mine... and dense rock is much better just like DSBs?

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
they both are the same thing, just in case u didn't notice. also, i wouldn't recommend buying anything from aquatraders. we had an investigative thread a while ago on this site, and decided that their products are so cheap because their quality is god awful. sometimes people don't have any problem, but the majority of people have problems with aquatraders. also, i've got a CPR and it is awesome; no problems whatsoever.