broken heater

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was doing my regular 20 gallon water change in my 55 gallon ...when i stick my hand in the tank i get zapped and i mean ZAPPED!! ive been shocked before but not like this :eek: i turn off the main surge protector and start to find what the problem was when i found my heater broken glass cracked and the tip fell off but it was still on and almost looked like it was sparking in the water.... i know glass heaters are usually POS and ive kinda just got by with this one for a while now but ill need to be upgrading now.....any suggestions on a good heater?? i dont wanna spend too much on it though cause i plan on getting mh sometime in the next few months and im buying a house and pretty much tight for $$$ right now :eek:

Last edited:

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
I had a large albino plec break one of the glass heaters I had here.
I am moving to using the hard plastic types.
I have also heard the titinium heaters work well.

I had a motor for an over the side filter go bad last month.
I got the same shocking feeling you did when I reached into the tank.

Dino

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
maybe all that bling'in gold you have on touched the heater and created an arc

btw i am using the old school green glass ebo jegar heaters with no problems at all, and i have been using them since they were new

i do know the new ebo's such royally now that have been bought out

i cant think of a decent brand off the top of my head at the moment

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i love my Visitherm Stealth 50w too bad i cant get the 25w ones at petsmart...

my uncle uses the same one for his turtle tank. theres about 2g of water. works great.

btw TRE i have the same heater got it for like $5...looks like its going to be stored away for a while...