Host for Clowns

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i have 2 Ocellaris Clownfishes and i want to give them something to host.
well the clay saucer was good lol. but i want something more natural.

iv been reading up on occelleris and their natural anemone fish is a carpet anemone...but the thing is its not going to fit in my 10g...

im taking suggestions on what to get.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
forget the anemone. I thought you had ich in your tank?

A clown will host anything....they are not particular they will host some corals. Mine hosts in a frogspawn....and one in the candycane. I have seen them host a power head too....

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i'll probably get a small piece of frogspawns. or something thats a bit on the tubby side.

what im scared of is getting coral will get me addicted and next thing i know theres a thousand dollars of coral in my tank. =/

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i have had hammer coral, in my 20 gallon long, with my clown for quite some time, never seen it attempt to host anything, and now in the 120 its hoasting a toadstool, with a BTA hammer coral, plate coral, brain corals, zoanthids, button polyps... so its up to the fish if they will host what you give them, mine choose not to host what i gave it until something resembled carpet anemone came along... the clown wont eventually kill the toadstool will it? i have heard of them killing zoanthids when they hosted in them

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I have a clown that hosts a feather duster and amazingly the feather duster does not seem to mind. My maroon clown hosts the top right corner of the tank. I don't know lol. He's strange

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Amazingly yes it does. A couple of my feather dusters will stay open when you graze them but with enough irritation they will go in. I guess he likes the clown!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i dont know about thos feather dusters.
but i guess i'll try some frogspawns or something on the cheap side. =/

i think its ok in a 10g along as it doesnt over grow it. keeping the water para got a little easier.