Clownfish color fading

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
iv noticed that one of my clowns is getting darker. when i got him he was a lot brighter....is he getting darker because of stress? or the food hes eating? im feeding him reef flakes. everyone in the tank loves it.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
is it like like black dots on their orange coating ?

Also you cold try frozen mysid, just for a change. They eat pretty much anything they can grab..but flakes all the time is not the best thing...even tough it's a very tuff fish

If i eat chips all days for a year ..only chips, i might be sick ;) on the long run

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
but the food i give them is mysis shrimp and reef flakes which are red.
they seem to like the flakes a lot better then the mysis.

their really young still. 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" still.

yeah im trying to switch off from pellets/flakes/mysis.

i want to try copopods. hope my lfs has them..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Yeah but some flake food are flavored enhanced..so fishies jump on it.

anyways...getting darker is better than the opposite usually...a whitish, pale specimen isn't very good to have.
got any pics of your inmates ?
Also did ya change your lights ? When i switched from the sweet 20000k to a 10000k hard light, my perc looked less pretty..and he's not sick.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Actually my perc darkened up in a matter of months......as she grew from 1 1/4 inch to 3 inches over a year. Until she started darkening I thought I had 2 ocellaris and now I am sure I have a true perc and an ocellaris. I have also heard that cyclopeeze helps their colour become more vibrant and darker....

jam3s

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2006
clownfish markings change depending on environment. Whether it's the food they eat, the anemone they sleep in, or the water parameters the tank has...the marks will lighten or darken depending.