Is carribean live rock good?

Apr 20, 2007
I am a brand newbie to the salt water community and am starting a 24g Aquapod set-up want to know anyones opinion on caribean live rock.
Any feed back will due.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Yep but seeding is long and the base rock isn't as porous...sure the coralline and sponges are going to settle on it quickly, but it's gonna take a while to become efficient. I have plenty of carribbean rock and i don't like the shapes.
The carribbean LR is sold like 7 $ per pound...and the sulewasi like 8.50$ but the sulewasi is extremely light and porous ( so porous it won't be good to put under a lot of rocks )..anyways, you're winner if you get some sulewasi.
I also like the Vanuatu but it's harder to get

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
okay and my 2 cents worth.....I have 150lbs of marshall island and I like the shapes ....though I only have about 6 pieces that weigh that much and it is huge......very very porous and light......

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're doing a 24g tank, I think you'd be better off getting your rock from the LFS and being able to choose the shapes you want. Sure, it might cost a little more, but as it's the foundation of your tank, it might be worth getting something you're sure you like.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
If you're doing a 24g tank, I think you'd be better off getting your rock from the LFS and being able to choose the shapes you want. Sure, it might cost a little more, but as it's the foundation of your tank, it might be worth getting something you're sure you like.
i couldnt say it any better....

i had to blast my LR into small pieces. now im w8ing for the coral line to cover the ugly "scars".

Apr 20, 2007
All good info and since i am a newbie why i got into something like this for advice so i appreciate all that is givin to me thanx everyone.
Gonna research alot more before i start anyways so yeah thanks again.
When i do start i will start a new thread to get step by step advice on what i am doin right and wrong.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Couldn't say it better. It is far better in this hobby to wait and get equipment etc that is the best and that will take care of your needs farther down the road than what you are thinking for the present. It will save you scads of money in the long run if you are not having to constantly upgrade.....money spent on live rock is a one time expense as this rock can be used in any future upgrade......what ever you get it will be suitable for any future tank......