Thinking about setting up a saltwater.

May 1, 2007
Milwaukee,WI
Hey people, Im looking into a saltwater tank. But I have no clue what I am doing. So a little help would be nice. Step by step is what Im loking for. This will be a fish only tank of 40 Breeder US gallons.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
That is a great starter size tank. My first words of advice would be to read the stickies here and also read New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta. After that, read, read, read, and read some more! At that point, ask lots of questions to clarify anything you don't understand!

On behalf of the moderators and members: Welcome to MyFishTank.net!

- Kevin

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
With a 40 gal breeder, they are pretty shallow. lighting would be cheaper than for any deeper tank....keeping soft corals shouldn't break the bank.
I fully agree with the lighting The footprint of the 40G Breader tank is deeper for some very nice arrangements of live rock (LR) along with great area for fish to roam.

As to what Tre and Camaro said.... R E A D *thumbsups

Also... don't fully believe everything your LFS tells you... do your homework.

W E L C O M E T O M F T ! ! ! ! !

Just wait... you say "fish only" .....for now................*SUPERSMIL

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
your looking at over $1000 of setup....i think the quote is about$50 a gallon but for nanos its more like $50-100....

anyways start cheap and work your way up. oh and please buy what u really need...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
once you have read and have an idea....bring it to the forum. We will then give you our honest opinion on equipment and set ups as we have all done it or know someone who has......as for equipment.....we have all had bad experiences with shoddy stuff and will steer you to the best value for your money

May 1, 2007
Milwaukee,WI