Sudden Death

ztdudek

New Fish
May 3, 2007
ok here goes....

i bought a ten gallon fish tank i decided not to do a fishless cycle cause i cant find the pure amonia anywhere so i bought 3 red blue tetras i've had them for 2 days...and 2 are dead...what could be going wrong...

its a 10 Gal Tank...

Temp is at 75 Degrees

and their are bio balls, conditioner,freshwater aquarium salt, and cycle.....

any suggestions as to different starter fish?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
ok here goes....

i bought a ten gallon fish tank i decided not to do a fishless cycle cause i cant find the pure amonia anywhere so i bought 3 red blue tetras i've had them for 2 days...and 2 are dead...what could be going wrong...

its a 10 Gal Tank...

Temp is at 75 Degrees

and their are bio balls, conditioner,freshwater aquarium salt, and cycle.....

any suggestions as to different starter fish?
Red Blue tetras, are those neon tetras? They aren't very hardy.

Bio Balls wont do you much good in a tank that hasn't established it's bio-load yet, down the road they will help, but right now they are still getting established.

I'd try zebra danios if you are doing a fish-in cycle - or better yet go buy some Bio Spira for an instant cycle, for ten gallons it should only cost you around 15 bucks, I think? (Can't remember, I've only bought it once :eek: ). But you need to add fish immediately to keep the new bio-load alive.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
The only thing with doing a fish-in cycle...is if they survive the cycle, then you are stuck with fish that you may or may not want in the long term. Like adding a betta, you're stuck with it if you don't want it, and they aren't known to be the best community fish. And zebra danios would probably be happier in a tank larger than ten gallons.
Personally, I'd go buy some bio spira, then you can stock your tank immediately, and with fish you actually want for the entertainment value of the tank, not their "bacteria-making" abilities :)

bauta

Small Fish
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
is i get the zebra danios will they fight with my other tetra i have in their??

thanks
I have 4 zebra danios and i cycled two tanks with them (same fishes). One 20g and one 55g. They are very hard fish and don't fight with tetras.
They have some fins damages buy they are still alive and redy for more sucide jobs.
I recomend zebras

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I recommend not doing the fish in cycle at all, all it does is murder fish and cause a lot of trouble. Either buy some bio-spira (make sure to use it correctly, there's an explanation on its use on my webpage), or get some gravel from an established tank (also some info on my page).

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Boi-Spira is wonderful! It cuts the cycle down to 1 1/2-2 weeks. It can be hard to find though. Marineland laboraories has a store locator feature on their web site that should help. That's how I found it. It only cost me 7.99 for enough to cycle a 30 gallon tank, which is well worth it! Most places seem to charge a little more from what I hear, but still worth it!

I still have the platies that were in my first tank that I cycled with fish (without the Bio-Spira that time) and they still seem very healthy.

Just be sure to check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates very often while doing partial water changes to keep the numbers in check, and you should be fine.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
oh dear lol. everyone does that. cardinal tetras are different from neon tetras the neon tetras are much more hardy than cardinal tetras. i know this from experience because i had 10 (5 of each) and in the first week all 5 cardinals died and my neons have lived till today.