Skimmer question

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Will a maxi-jet powerhead fit on a bakpak2??? I want to replace my rio since they are a little skittish. I lost power last night and both of my rios didn't come back on. Luckily I was able to get them started back up, but don't want this to happen again.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm having a hard time getting the venturi bubbles to come out right. I doesn't seem like there are as many as my rio put out. I tried tightening and loosening the air intake thing, but I don't know where it should be. How do you have yours setup?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I'm having a hard time getting the venturi bubbles to come out right. I doesn't seem like there are as many as my rio put out. I tried tightening and loosening the air intake thing, but I don't know where it should be. How do you have yours setup?
Hmm.. Well at first I would suggest opening up the air intake fully and let it run for a few hours! Then check the tubing for the air intake if it is clogged cuz some time water gets into the tube and restricts air flow. Have you added a wooden airston with an air pump to the skimmer. This mod will help the skimmer.

Check out my thread for the mod!! LINK Below

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/nano-saltwater-discussion/41534-finally-20-gallon-setup-33.html

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
No, I haven't added a air stone or anything else. If I open the valve all the way a lot of bubbles come out, but don't fill up the skimmer like the rio did. When I close the valve almost to the point of closing it all the way it fills the camber up a lot more. I moved the skimmer cup all the way down and the junk is really dark so I supose it's working good.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
No, I haven't added a air stone or anything else. If I open the valve all the way a lot of bubbles come out, but don't fill up the skimmer like the rio did. When I close the valve almost to the point of closing it all the way it fills the camber up a lot more. I moved the skimmer cup all the way down and the junk is really dark so I supose it's working good.
Yeah thats a big problem with bak paks. Once you get them tweaked they work great. Good to know that everything is working. Try adding the wooden stone it will boost the skimmer's performance.