saltwater tank

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
depends what you want to keep. Smaller tanks are harder to keep, because things can go downhill quickly.
You could start with a 5.5 or a 10 gal, and have a clownfish and some zoanthids and mushrooms :)

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
in a ten gallon you could have 2 small fish ill list some of the small fish below

clownfish
royal gramma
shrimp goby
perching goby
fire fish

all stay small and are peaceful. you could do 2 small fish and a couple of inverts in a ten gallon for some other tank sizes

5.5 gallon-1 small fish, 1 clown or 1 type of goby
2.5- small perching goby such as a clown or green banded goby.

If your planning to just fill it with fish and "plants" then your in for a rude awakeing. First you need to buy salt and mix it into the water an measure the salinity until its right. Live rock is going to cost alot. Then you have to wait for the tank to cycle, add your clean up crew, wait, then add fish. could you plsease specify on what you mean by "plants"?

Last edited:

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
what would be the smallest tank for saltwater fish?
please respaond

He asked about fish ;)

Well, you could keep a neon goby, or some other sort of SMALL goby in a 2.5gal, but that is more for the experienced fishkeeper. The smallest tank that I'd do for a beginner SW keeper would be a 5.5 tank with a small fish (goby). But the bigger the size of the tank the better, simply because it will be much more stable and opens windows for more, or larger fish.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
He asked about fish ;)

fishrman16 said:
im just getting a 10 gal.
how much would it cost to fill it with plants and for the fish?
*thumbsups

i spent about $300 on my 10 gallon but this was spread out over about a year and that included lighting, liverock, and a few corals ... if you plan on just keeping fish it can be setup for considerably less...to get an idea watch the video in the link in my sig ;)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you're not doing corals (and I suspect you're not), then the cost isn't nearly that high. The major expense is the live rock ($5-10/lb, depending on where you are... you'd want about 8-12lbs); you don't need upgraded lighting or anything for just the fish. You actually can do plants in SW, but it's not like keeping FW plants... and you'd need that upgraded lighting to do them. And really, a 10g setup is going to cost just the same as a 2.5 or 5g setup, so you might as well get the extra room.

Just want to throw out there, a neon goby should NOT be kept in a 2.5g, they are very active little fish... you'd want a clown or some type of perching goby for such a little tank.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
The stickies on this forum hold a wealth of good information when getting in to saltwater. I suggest to read them first so you don't waste money. If you were referring to corals when you said plants you will need better lighting. Since a 10 isn't that deep you could keep quite a few varieties of corals using PC(Power Compact) lights. I would wait until you get all your parameters steady before adding corals.