Adding more CUC

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Guys I need to add more CUC. I have algae all over the place. My CUC is way out numbered here. I have a 24g with 5 astrea, 3 hermits, and 4 nassarius. What else should I add, need some diversity. So what should I add?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
bumble bees ? They're cool and last long :)
Personnally the best bang for the buck/ longevity crew = nassarius. An army of nassarius = clean...add 5 blue leg hermits and it's spic and span.
The astreas and turbos = tend to die when the hot summer comes..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Hey, shift9K, did you get your nutrients under control? I'd get the water in top shape before adding more CUC. If later you get the water better, you'll end up with starving snails and crabs.

I have a few hermits in my tank. I only wanted some for the entertainment factor. I read somewhere the other day that one per 10g will be reef safe. I only have 6 in my 125g tank :p Right now, they can't move fast enough to get to the food when everyone else is feeding, so they really only do get the leftovers. Many reefers have a snail-only CUC, from what I've read.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Yea the water has been good for a while, I changed out all the water to RO/DI a week or two back. Meaning 90% water change, and since then i've done a couple 20% ones. But the algae is still growing. My CUC just cant keep up. I ran some carbon when I did the first large water change so I've basically pulled everything from the water.

What do you guys think of Margaritas, and Nerite snails? Or should I just stick with Astrea. Mine have been thru hell and back and are still kicking. I have 3 hermits and wanna keep it at that. Just want snails now. *twirlysmi

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would add a few more nassarius, they are detritus eaters (read scavanger) they eat leftover food NOT algae. For that I would definitely chose nerites over margaritas which really are temperate in nature and don't like the reef tank temps. What type of algae do you have? is it green hair? red cyano? diatoms? As Lotus stated get the nutrients under control and if the water is okay.....then it could just be the many different algaes that come with a new tank.....and most will just have to be waited out. Did you ever get a skimmer?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i have some green hair, what kinda snails will take care of that? and i have some cyano that just came back, had it under controll for a week :(.. i don't have any snails yet.. im planning on getting some this comming weekend, just didn't know what kind will get rid of the hair algae

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Eh didnt get the skimmer yet. I ran carbon for a minute, and just have been keeping up with water changes every week. I like the whole snail CUC idea as well, my crabs knocked over stuff and were sort of aggressive even with empty shells present (blue leg hermits). So since I already have 3 im not gonna add more. This is what i'm thinking.

Astrea 5 to 8

Nassarius 4 to 8

Margarita 0 to 1

Nerite 0 to 2

and keep my 3 hermits.