first big tank

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
I got my first big tank about 30g for christmas 2006 and i've only kept a betta in a vase and I have 8 fish each less then 3 inches in length. is that ok.:confused:

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Mollies do not need brackish water. They prefer neutral to high PH, but they are relatively adaptive fish.

Keep an eye out for that RTS. If you vase has constant temperature and if you perform daily water changes, I think you can keep the betta in a vase.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
I agree and now they actually have complete set-ups( tank,filter,heater,food etc.) for bettas that are compact .These have every thing one needs to keep them humanely, all at a very reasonable cost,please visit Petco!-D

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I never could keep betas alive for more then 4 hours. tried with 6 of em then figured they would be better off at my lfs lol. now with the stocking of the 30 gal. I think u could do more. I know I am WAY WAY over stocked in my 10 but with a few more water changes and a little more attention then normal it can be done with success. I don't recomend it to everyone and I know a few of u here think I'm crazy to have as many but I've had the tank set up for over 2 years with the same fish and they are all healthy and happy. or at least as happy as fish can look. can't tell if they are grinning or not.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
just because they are a labrinth fish doesnt mean its healthy for them to live in their own feces infested water and a small little vase. its cruel. ammonia, nitrates, and nitries build up and posions them.

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
gouramis are labyrinth fishes also. i wonder why they're not put into little vases like bettas. maybe it's the multi-color appeal that bettas have and people like their fins? yeah that's weird labyrinth fishes can extract oxygen directly from the air. give them a few million years and they'll be sprouting legs and crawling on land. i wonder if they're relatives to frogs or salamanders. hmmm!