algae Help

crazy4fish

Medium Fish
Jun 1, 2007
hey i just got this new algae eater and it keep changeing colors well from lite black to dark black i was wondering how do u get so much algae in ur tank i wanted to do it so i knew my algae eater was ok and eating

Algae Eaters have a some chameleon ability. They'll adjust their color slightly to match the ground, but it's subtle. They aren't going to change from green to brown like some lizards, but they can go from brown to black.
As far as algae... just buy some pleco pellets and drop one or two in at night (or whenever you notice the fish is active). You can also feed cucumbers.
Whatever you do... do not try to introduce algae. It'll show up soon enough, and then you'll have to deal with it.

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
i bought mine from a fish store but as far as i know you can you should be able to pick it up in any fish/pet store its called BOGWOOD it just look's like a small bit of tree branch or bark, you have to soak it for about a week to ten days in a basin to get a solution called tannin out of it other wise it make's your tank look like a cup of tea!!!

[/URL][/IMG]
*celebrate

Jun 23, 2007
crazy4fish- The Common Plecostomus would need algae wafers, bogwood, and also try some shrimp pellets. Feed at night when your lights are off. This raises the chance of it finding food before other fish.

epond83- For most Plecostomus sp. wood is a staple part of their diet. Just supplement their feedings with Algae wafers and shrimp pellets. Also crazy4fish shouldnt leave the lights on all day. That can stress the plecostomus out. The plecostomus would also never get to the food on time if the lights are on as the other fish would eat it first.

crazy4fish

Medium Fish
Jun 1, 2007
crazy4fish- The Common Plecostomus would need algae wafers, bogwood, and also try some shrimp pellets. Feed at night when your lights are off. This raises the chance of it finding food before other fish.

epond83- For most Plecostomus sp. wood is a staple part of their diet. Just supplement their feedings with Algae wafers and shrimp pellets. Also crazy4fish shouldnt leave the lights on all day. That can stress the plecostomus out. The plecostomus would also never get to the food on time if the lights are on as the other fish would eat it first.
ok ty so i should go buy some of that stuff and feed the algae eater 2 times a night and feed the fish in the morning, leave the light on for mabey 3 hours a day and the algae eater will eat flakes rite cuz mine is rite now is that weird are is he just realy hongry. also he just stays in two spots, and my swordtail been pregnant for about 3 1/2 weeks now u have any idea to hurry up the breeding process

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Not that i'm trying to say any one is wrong just a funny story, my dad has a 80 gal. SA cichlid tank, with a regular Pleco to help keep things clean... anyway when he feed his fish floading food the Pleco goes up and turns upside down to eat the fish food from the serface. Weirdest thing i've seen. There is algae around the tank it eats and a chunch of wood but he just loves that fish food i guess.

crazy4fish

Medium Fish
Jun 1, 2007
Not that i'm trying to say any one is wrong just a funny story, my dad has a 80 gal. SA cichlid tank, with a regular Pleco to help keep things clean... anyway when he feed his fish floading food the Pleco goes up and turns upside down to eat the fish food from the serface. Weirdest thing i've seen. There is algae around the tank it eats and a chunch of wood but he just loves that fish food i guess.
ya mines the same way but he wats to it hits the ground and he eats it i hav no idea mabey it just wants something different lol

Jun 23, 2007
ok ty so i should go buy some of that stuff and feed the algae eater 2 times a night and feed the fish in the morning, leave the light on for mabey 3 hours a day and the algae eater will eat flakes rite cuz mine is rite now is that weird are is he just realy hongry. also he just stays in two spots, and my swordtail been pregnant for about 3 1/2 weeks now u have any idea to hurry up the breeding process
I would mix it up. One night I would feed an Algae wafer, the next night feed a few shrimp pellets. Have some bog wood so it can hide during the day and munch on at night.

Variety is key in any fishes diet IMO. When I get my tanks set up Im going to have bloodworms, tubifex worms, sinking pellets, flakes, and live brine shrimp.

crazy4fish

Medium Fish
Jun 1, 2007
I would mix it up. One night I would feed an Algae wafer, the next night feed a few shrimp pellets. Have some bog wood so it can hide during the day and munch on at night.

Variety is key in any fishes diet IMO. When I get my tanks set up Im going to have bloodworms, tubifex worms, sinking pellets, flakes, and live brine shrimp.
ok is this some bogwood
Picture060.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture059.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture058.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting