how much of a cycle to expect??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i will prolly start setting back up the 125g later tonite when i get home from wurk and was just wondering how much of a cycle if any to expect... i saved about 30 or so lbs or live sand from the old setup and ill be adding it to the top of the dry sand i got to seed wich is about 80-100 lbs, and i have approxemetly 100 lbs of live rock from the old setup as well, i also have about 50 gallons of water that i saved from the old setup as well

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
probably not much.......You are using existing live rock which will have minimal die off and the sand should be okay also.......I would think it may just need time to coat everything in the tank with bacteria.......so maybe a week???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i started filling up the tank today :D about 40 gallons so far now i just need about about 140 gallons more and ill be set *twirlysmi i only have 4 5gal jugs and im getting the water from a lfs since i dont have a r/o unit and im not willing to use tap water for obvious reasons..... i guess theres no rush on filling the sump yet so in that case between 100lbs of lr and 100lbs of sand the display is almost halfway filled!

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol yeah i know how u feel. i tried filling a 10g tank with something that gets u about 1g every 5 mins....so about 50 mins no including the time it takes to prepare everything else....

how r u going to do water changes? from experience using pumps really really helps (they dont have to be in-line type pumps).

if i had a 100g (fingers crossed) i would use my rio pumps to take out water and pump water in. pretty convenient if u asked me. wish someone told me about that rather the finding it out from experience...

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't expect much cycle if any. A few things like algae, sponges might die back a bit, but you shouldn't really notice anything

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
I wouldn't expect much cycle if any. A few things like algae, sponges might die back a bit, but you shouldn't really notice anything
thats what i was thinking.. ill let u guys kno how it goes *thumbsups

CoolWaters said:
how r u going to do water changes? from experience using pumps really really helps (they dont have to be in-line type pumps).
eventually i plan to setup a resivour on my porch on the otherside of the wall that the tank is on where i can do water changes by the flip of a switch but thatll have to wait till i upgrade on my lighting situation