Power concern

My sister is a Marine Biologist and would love to setup a SW tank. She lives in Florida and is concerned about fish survival if the power goes out. With the exception of hurricanes this isn't a problem. But here is the track record with power outage so far:
Irene: less than one day,
Katrina: 3 days,
Wilma: almost a week

I guess my question is how do you protect against power outages, and what steps do you take when you do loose it?
I have plenty of experience with FW, but zero with salt so any advice that I could give her would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Generators and Batteries is pretty much it. You can use an inverter hooked up to a deep cycle batter to run a tank for a while. The key in a power outage is oxygenation and water movement (the lighting is of minor concern) so with diligence things can survive for a while.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
when huricane wilma hit i was with out power for 2 weeks!! i survive with battery powered pumps (6 of them!!) but that was before i went reef so it was basically just keeping the fish alive...now that i have corals i would like to get a generator to keep the lights on when power goes out ;)

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol using a bucket to move water ill be torture...i would just get the most efficient pump i can fine with a small back up power supply.

costco sells a 240 watt solar Solar Back-up Power supply.
solar panels for day and battery for night.

speaking of solar power supplies...
i found this
DealExtreme: $22.35 1000mAh 5.5V Solar Powered Self-Recharging Li-Ion Battery
never miss a call again.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
come on you guys, you spend thousands on fish tanks and equipment not to mention the cost of livestock.......$300 for a generator is cheap insurance. I think that is the only way to go, especially if I lived in an area with the danger of losing power for longer than a day is pretty high. Ask me if I have one? not yet, I have been hashing over the plan for a deep cycle battery and power inverter because when we lose power it is usually only for an hour or two but a generator is definitely on the table right now.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Just remember that whenever there's a big hurricane, the stores run out of generators, plywood and water. I think a small generator runs around $350.

I wouldn't want to go for more than a few hours without power. Our biggest problem would be the heat. I guess you could go a few days without power before everything dies, depending on your stocking, etc.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
I think a small generator runs around $350.
your forgeting about the cost of gas and close to a week without power will exceed the cost of the generator ;) again every tiime i see one on sale i want to buy it but until im sitting in the dark and the stores are sold out i cant get myself to dish out the cash... one of these days *SUPERSMIL

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I know what you are saying Tre.....I keep saying I am going to buy one then never get around to it. Last winter our power went out for about 4 hours and in that time the temp dropped from 80 to 75.....fish were fine as were the corals but I wouldn't have wanted to push it any longer.